Author Topic: 31 Canonbury Park North  (Read 480 times)

Offline julie7239

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
31 Canonbury Park North
« on: Sunday 06 March 16 17:14 GMT (UK) »
William Eglin Clayton is on the Electoral Register in 1881 as owning the freehold property 31 Canonbury Park North.

He died on 18th October 1881, and his probate is dated 8 Dec 1881, which says, "The Will of William Eglin Clayton late of 31 Canonbury-park-North in the County of Middlesex Gentleman who died 18th October 1881 at Orton in the County of Westmoreland was proved at the Principal Registry by Elizabeth Ann Clayton of 31 Canonbury-park-North Widow the Relict the sole Executrix."  He left a personal estate of £7,634 14s 1d.

What I want to know is who owned the house, before and after William Eglin Clayton.  If the house had passed to his wife Elizabeth Ann Clayton (nee Elizabeth Hartley Wool) then where would the record of that be, as before 1918 only men with sufficient property could vote, so she wouldn't be on the Electoral Register.

From what I can gather, these houses were large villas, and he owned the freehold.

I also want to know when he came into his inheritance from his father James, a licenced victualler born 1796 in Yorkshire, died 1873 in Middlesex, London.  William's mother was Anne, born Orton, Westmorland in 1826, and he had an older half brother called Thomas who was also born around 1826.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: 31 Canonbury Park North
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 March 16 17:23 GMT (UK) »

Hi

Electoral registers for 1885 show an Alexander REID at 31 Canonbury Park North.

1888 an Alexander Blaikley at 31 Canonbury Park North.

1879 a William HEMSLEY

1880 Henry Hendbourck

Your William was registered at that address until 1882

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline julie7239

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 March 16 17:27 GMT (UK) »

Hi

Electoral registers for 1885 show an Alexander REID at 31 Canonbury Park North.

1888 an Alexander Blaikley at 31 Canonbury Park North.

1879 a William HEMSLEY

1880 Henry Hendbourck

Your William was registered at that address until 1882

claire

Thank you for that information.  The house must have been sold after his death.  I can't trace Elizabeth Ann, his widow, at all after that date except that she was a witness at the wedding of her sister Rebecca in 1884, as Mrs. Elizabeth Ann Clayton.

I am wondering if probate only deals with money, not houses?  There is no mention of who the house was left to, or who sold it?

And from your information, they had only just moved into the house as it was owned by somebody else in 1880.  William is shown living there on the 1881 census with his wife and sister in law, and he is living there when he dies at the end of 1881.

Offline julie7239

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 March 16 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Could somebody tell me who the property at number 39 Canonbury Park North, Islington was registered to in June 1884?

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 March 16 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Can't get anything for 1884, but in 1883 there was a WILLIAM JAMIESON SMITH there.

Have you a name for someone I could look up ?

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline julie7239

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 March 16 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Can't get anything for 1884, but in 1883 there was a WILLIAM JAMIESON SMITH there.

Have you a name for someone I could look up ?

claire

On the marriage certificate of Rebecca Hartley Wool, the sister of Mrs. Elizabeth Ann Clayton, William Elgin Clayton's widow, under "residence at the time of marriage", it says 39 Canonbury Park North, Islington.

Which is very close to number 31 Canonbury Park North, where William, his wife Elizabeth, and his sister in law Rebecca were living at the time of the 1881 census and his death at the end of 1881.

I suppose if Mrs Elizabeth Ann Clayton sold one house and bought the other, she wouldn't show up on the Electors Register because she was a woman, and not entitled to vote even though she owned property?

That could explain why Elizabeth's sister was living there.  And Elizabeth was a witness at Rebecca's 1884 marriage (which is the last trace I have of Elizabeth on any records).

The probate register only seems to mention that William left Elizabeth about £7,000.  It doesn't mention anything about the house.

The other possibility is William's brother, John Whitehead Clayton, 1848-1899, licensed victualler.