Author Topic: Re; Bigamist 1915  (Read 2264 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Re; Bigamist 1915
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 06 March 16 22:03 GMT (UK) »
I wondered that as well, Stan. Why are you so certain that the marriage was in 1915, is that just what has been passed down the family? Could it have been a story made up to hide the fact that Kathleen was the result of an affair with a married man? Would a man have been court marshalled for bigamy, wouldn't it have been a criminal rather than a military matter?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 06 March 16 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Maybe there was some fabrication involved to hide illegitimacy, but as the poster is a newbie, it may sound harsh to hear reasoned facts. Particularly those that knew the individual and has been family truth for years. Most FH researchers have encountered illegitimacy along the branches of family, for most it can be commonplace.

Possibly Gail, if not already, would purchase the birth cert in Christchurch to see if correct, it may give paternal details or not. Possibly research the same area for a mother and baby homes, to see if there are records detailing the event as has been mentioned etc.

If no light with information becomes available, there are many other branches of your family that will be found.

Best Wishes, and welcome to Rootschat  :)

Cas

Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 06 March 16 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Given the information so far, the theory that the tale of bigamy was a cover for illegitimacy is the most plausible. I suggest you obtain the birth certificate for  the birth found in Christchurch, it looks most promising.

There were a lot of cases of bigamy reported in the papers at that time but nothing  relating to your great grandmother. If there had been a court case it  would have been a civil court, not Courts Marshal.

Christchurch or Bournemouth was a logical place for an unmarried expectant mother to go to from Eastleigh, not too far from home, but far enough. There were a number of homes in the area for such girls or women. The birth certificate will probably show the the birth in Fairmile House, that was the where they were sent for the actual birth, it was the Union Workhouse for Christchurch and Bournemouth.

My mother-in-law was born there in similar circumstances in 1920, her mother's address appeared to be an ordinary house in Bournemouth, which later proved to be a Magdalen Home for fallen women.

Jebber
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 06 March 16 22:56 GMT (UK) »
I'd be very surprised if the birth certificate gives the father's name. Otherwise surely that would mean that Kathleen would have known her father's name? Have you got Kathleen's marriage certificate, does that name a father?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 06 March 16 23:14 GMT (UK) »
If the cert is correct, it will name her mother, if no father details, then that will be an avenue that is closed. If no paternal info on birth cert it would be doubtful on marriage cert, but if it was me would obtain both.

Also look into the geographical info jebber gave regarding mother and baby homes.

Hope she gets some info to conclude the story.

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline tatt1994

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 11 March 16 08:09 GMT (UK) »
it doesn't necessarily have to be a dead end. At 19 Linda was a servant in the house of Claude Frederic Holmes of 37 Southern Road, Stourwood, Bournemouth as was Lily Rose Clarke. It was fairly common for illegitimate offspring to be the children of either their employer or one of their children. Lily Rose would probably have known the truth. There were sick soldiers in Bournemouth so it is possible it was one of them. http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/features/snapshotsofthepast/10058330.How_Bournemouth_cared_for_sick_soldiers_during_the_First_World_War/

Claude Frederic was born in Leominster in July 1857 and married Lizzie Charlotte Dawson in Hampstead 1901. He died 31 October 1925, probate to Lizzie.

Fortunately attitudes to illegitimacy have changed. I agree  this was something the relative probably didn't want to talk about because of shame but the shame should never have been hers but that of the man who abandoned her.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 11 March 16 08:23 GMT (UK) »
If you can trace a living descendant of Claude Frederic Holmes, I wonder if a DNA test may be worth a shot?

Offline tatt1994

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 11 March 16 08:29 GMT (UK) »
have now discovered there were a lot of soldiers in the area http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/ww1/archive/11206950.November_3__1914__Welshmen_billeted_in_Winton_as_more_troops_arrive_in_Bournemouth/

but I'd also wonder about DNA testing - and whether any lawyer involved in the probate had a record of payment being made for an illegitimate child.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 11 March 16 12:20 GMT (UK) »
He may not have known about the child.
He may not have acknowledged the child.
Still might be worth looking at the will.

Or, perhaps there was some truth in the family story. Maybe the father was a soldier and his bigamous marriage was an embellishment to avoid the shame of illegitimacy.

There are any number of possible scenarios, so I think it would be worth purchasing the birth and marriage certificates as already advised. The information provided on them may be useful.