Author Topic: Government Assylums for the Infirmed and Destitute in New South Wales, Australia  (Read 2474 times)

Offline 85jbk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Government Assylums for the Infirmed and Destitute in New South Wales, Australia
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 09 March 16 06:15 GMT (UK) »
So, from your research,  were there any family members at Bourke when Dr Sides was consulted by Mary HAWKES and he diagnosed her General Debility and her consequent admission to Newington?

1.Mary was Alive in 1883 - Informant on grandson Alfred's BC - Wilga Station Dubbo
2.Marys Eldest Daughter Sarah Jane, youngest son was born at Bourke in 1887 and died in 1887
3. Sarah's husband died at Bourke in 1903 and Sarah died at Wellington 1910.
4. Marys second child and daughter Mary Ann also resided in the areas of Dubbo, Canbelego, Cobar, Girilambone, Nyngan but never as far North as Bourke. Mary died 1930 at Canbelego.
5.Son John also resided around similar districts of Narromine, Mudgee and Gulgong.John died 1935 at Mudgee.
6.Yongest son Thomas and My GGGrandfather  ventured further than all up into Queensland to settle at Longreach. Thomas died 1947 at Longreach.

It is entirely possible that this Mary was not connected to your family.

Yes this is very true, however I thought it worth checking regarding the fact I have not been able to find the whereabouts of our Mary to date.

Was the 1852 marriage celebrated by a C of E clergyman?  The Mary admitted to Newington was noted as C of E.   

Yes Mary was of C of E denomination. A brief attachment of William Singleton whom married Mary and John shows some information.

If you have had a chance to check on Dr Sides, you will see that he was Victorian born, and was aged 48 when he died in 1899, at Bourke.  IF (and so far I think it is still "IF") Mary HAWKES, aged 66, patient of Dr Sides, was the mother of your chap,  then perhaps she travelled to Bourke just to receive medical attention from Dr Sides. 

This also is very possible, but she may have also been living with the eldest daughter Sarah and her husband!?? Given they were in the area. ???
JK
Wells-Eaglesfield,Dumfrieshire
Carlyle -Eaglesfield,Dumfrieshire
Underwood - Ruthwell,Dumfrieshire
Grierson - Ruthwell,Dumfrishire
O'Halloran- Limerick
Bryan (O'Brien)Limerick
Hawks/Hawkes - Staffordshire, England
Badgery - Staffordshire, England
Davis-  Cork- Ireland
Neville - Ireland
O'Toole - Limerick

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Government Assylums for the Infirmed and Destitute in New South Wales, Australia
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 09 March 16 07:01 GMT (UK) »
May I please have some surnames for the married daughters.   And crossed fingers that there's perhaps a comment that Mrs xxxx was enjoying a visit from her mother .... or Mrs YYY's mother moved to .....

I will check the Bourke Hist. Society's CD again.    If you are familiar with the 13 volumes in hardcopy, the CD is the work of the volunteers re-typing every word and then formatting into pdf and loading onto CD with searchable features.  There's ten years of volunteer typing and checking/re-checking in the CD.  Those 13 volumes cover many events and details from Vic border to Qld border and right across the Western Division of NSW, but are Bourke and district focused.   So Dubbo is perhaps "too far east" of Bourke to have much detail included in the volumes.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline 85jbk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 09 March 16 07:14 GMT (UK) »
 :)Cheers to the invaluable and countless hours the volunteers put in to do this tasks.
So Sarah Jane was married to Frederick Mott and Mary Ann was married to Robert Smith.

Wells-Eaglesfield,Dumfrieshire
Carlyle -Eaglesfield,Dumfrieshire
Underwood - Ruthwell,Dumfrieshire
Grierson - Ruthwell,Dumfrishire
O'Halloran- Limerick
Bryan (O'Brien)Limerick
Hawks/Hawkes - Staffordshire, England
Badgery - Staffordshire, England
Davis-  Cork- Ireland
Neville - Ireland
O'Toole - Limerick