Author Topic: GERMANY: immigration/naturalisation  (Read 6193 times)

Offline emilysiobhan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: GERMANY: immigration/naturalisation
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 20 July 05 03:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan,

I was thinking the name Anspach sounded familiar, and looking up where it is it's not too far from the North of Frankfurt, where I was working until last Summer (I'm now not in Germany anymore so can't help with any look-ups unfortunately).

Having looked a bit on google there seem to be a few family history socities in Hessen who you could try writing to perhaps. Their webpages are all in German but they may also be able to understand English.
Hessen family history society:
http://www.genealogienetz.de/vereine/HFV/hfv.html
Details for family history society for Nassau and Frankfurt
http://www.genealogienetz.de/vereine/DAGV/mgl26.html
(I think it should be possible to find the e-mail/postal addresses alright on these without speaking German..otherwise ask one of us here on rootschat to PM it)

I also came across a site for the evangelical church in Anspach:
http://kirche-anspach.de/
There they actually have a section on family history; click on "gemeindegruss" on the left hand menu, then on issue "3/2005 Juni/Juli/August"

Then in the menu for that issue there is a section entitled "Ahnenforschung" (Origin? research).

This is also in German, but it basically talks about lots of people become interested in their family origins, and that there are parish records dating from 1660 in Anspach (originally in Latin, then later in old german).
They seem to have the records up until 1875 (after which the state kept the BMD records).

For people having ancestors coming from Anspach there is an address for enquiries:
Kirchenvorsteher Wolfgang Krämer
Evangelische Gemeindebüro
Friedrich Ebert Strasse 18,
Neu-Anspach 61267
 Telefon 06081/7948

There are still some Henrici's in Anspach....when I put in Anpach and Henrici the first thing that came up was the Henrici Metzgerei (butchers)....they also have an e-mail address....but I guess that's a bit of a long shot.

Best regards,

Emily
Cork: Collins,
Herts/Beds:  Pope,Harwood
Essex:  Bryant, Pumfrey, Williams, Keyes,Totham, Citchen
Surrey/London: Shields, Woolf, Cooper, Quinton, Plumer
other: Cuskern,  Domazsewicz
Wales: Morgan, Mathews, Thomas (x2), Trew, Protheroe, Owen

Census information is Crown copyright

Offline susan p

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 21 July 05 09:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Emily.Thank you for your help,I will write to the address you have given me and also try the web sites.
Berlin Bob suggested googling to see what it came up with,quite a few but all in german.my son suggested useing babel fish to translatebut warned me the translations are not always accurate and not to use them to mail people.Has Berlin Bob any ideas?are yo reading this BOB?
Again thank you for your help and hopefully I will get some info.
Regards Susan
Henrici Durham,Henderson,sunderland,durham
Buckenham Norfolk/suffolk,Beveridge,McQueen,Brownleescotland.Crackwell,Suffolk,
mothersole Suffolk
Gibson Sedgefield Durham
Evans Shropshire/Northormesby,Tadman

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 21 July 05 20:49 BST (UK) »
Did somebody call ?

Hi Susan,

I looked at Emily's site and I think it is worth a try.

Have a think about what you would like to ask, and post it here. Then I will ring up the number supplied on the web-site and see what they can offer.

We'll keep the butcher as a last resort, .... although, bowed down and exhausted, by all this searching, you might fancy a pound of german sausage, to get your strength back, ready for the next round   ;D  ;D

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline susan p

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 22 July 05 13:35 BST (UK) »
hello Berlin Bob
Theres lots I would like to know  I suppose I must be patient .
However I will start with my g grandfather his date of birth is given as 4thfebruary 1846 His father was Karl Peter Henrici born circa 1819 all I have for jacobs mother is her first name Elizabeth hope to find out her maiden name.I think any info about them would be good.
I,m also trying to find out if Jacb married before he came to england as he was a widdower when he married my g grandmother (thier first 2children were born out of wedlock)Think I had quite coulorful ancestors.
I realy apprecieate(can,t spell)any help I get.
Please let me know of any costs that might be incured.
As I,m not sure of what I should be asking any advice for the questions I should be asking would help.
many thanks.
Susan
ps I quite like german sausage. 
mothersole Suffolk
Gibson Sedgefield Durham

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 03 August 05 20:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan,

Just a quick update:

I have been trying the number from the web-site, and it is the right one, the answering machine tells me so, every time !

It tells me "Office hours are ..." so I ring in the office hours and get told "Office hours are ..."  ;D

Probably because of holidays !! I'll keep trying and let you know what happens.

Bob ("Office hours are ..."  ;D )
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline susan p

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 03 August 05 21:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Berlin Bob,
thank you for keeping me updated.It realy is kind of you to keep trying.
they say patience is a virtue.its perhaps the only one i,v got(lol) .
thanks again talk soon.
susan
mothersole Suffolk
Gibson Sedgefield Durham

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 04 September 05 18:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I've just come across this line - very interesting.   Most areas kept a record of Auswanderers (emigrants)- nobody was allowed to leave without the authorities making sure no debts were owed and for whatever other reason.   
I've heard each parish had to submit boys names to central office when they would be eligible for conscription into the forces (18 I think but I suppose it could be earlier).  There was a war brewing which took place 1866 and another one was a standoff early1871.
I've heard some people have had to wait months for an archive reply, but that's not my experience. I emailed simple English sentences and put a babelfish German sentence underneath each one:-).  I got a reply with info after about 3 weeks and a request to either pay 32 Euros by cheque or make a money transfer to their bank.  If I'd asked for cdocuments it would have cost more. 
Ref. names - you will find that 2,3 or 4 witnesses/godparents usually related or of higher status than the parents gave their names.
R
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 04 September 05 18:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan,

seeing Rena's posting reminded me that an update is due.

I finally reached a real person at the Community Office, and she said "Oh yes, Herr Krämer does that bit ..." and she gave me his home number.

He works during the day, so do I, and it's a case of trying to find a suitable moment to phone him in the evening.  Life's been a bit hectic here (school holidays so my daughter was visiting), but soon ....

Aufgeschoben ist nicht aufgehoben  - postponed doesn't mean forgotten !!

Bob

Offline susan p

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 05 September 05 11:38 BST (UK) »
Hello Bob
Thanks for your update I must appologise for not updateing you .
I am in touch with Wolfgang Kraemer.He is just waiting for me to send some money to the church?
he has sent me an address to of the bank.
Tanja started the ball rolling for me.
I can,t thank every one enough for all the help I have been given.I,m sure I will be letting you know the out come as I,m so pleased to have got this far.
My thanks again to you all
Susan
mothersole Suffolk
Gibson Sedgefield Durham