Author Topic: Probate Search Will record disappointment..  (Read 1560 times)

Offline Tom 23

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Probate Search Will record disappointment..
« on: Tuesday 08 March 16 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have recently ordered a will from the gov.uk probate search website, as from the free search I found my relation's details on the index of wills and it showed personal effects valued at £1,159 19s 9d in 1930.

Having paid the £10 fee I then expected to actually see a breakdown of the full actual will that would show how the amount of £1,159 etc had been calculated, however all I received was basically the information already seen in the free search, which was a waste of money and obviously disappointing.

I therefore sent an email asking where I would need to go to find out how the amount of the will had been calculated and they didn't know, so please could anyone advise.

Thanks

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Probate Search Will record disappointment..
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 March 16 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Did it say Will or just letters of Administration? If the latter that means there wasn't an actual will. Whenever I've applied for a will I've received the document.  I think that the probate tells you how much was left in the estate at the time of death but doesn't say how it is distributed, the will would do that.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 March 16 12:50 GMT (UK) »
A Will will show how the Estate is to be distributed (eg x amount to son, y amount to Dogs Home etc). It wont show how it was calculated (eg x amount was property, y amount was in Building Society, z amount was tax owed etc)

As has been said, if the Index showed that Administration was granted, then there was no Will - the person named was just given the right to administer the Estate.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 March 16 12:56 GMT (UK) »
I think the only way that you could find out where the money came from rather, than where it went would be from the person who was granted probate. I know that when I have inherited money I have been given a breakdown by the solicitor, which showed money into and out of the estate and the balance to be distributed and how. However, I'm not sure if this would be available to anyone other than those directly involved.

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 March 16 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Wills can vary, some may state what items and set amounts are  to be paid to different named individuals, with the residue left to a certain individual, or divided between individuals.

Some just say the estate is to be divide, either equally or proportionately between certain people. In the latter case,  only the executors and recipients know the sums involved.

As Groom said, only those inheriting get a breakdown of the costs and  distribution.

This has been the case with all the wills I have obtained, and those where I have been a beneficiary.

Jebber
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Tom 23

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 March 16 16:55 GMT (UK) »

Thanks, what I was expecting to receive was to see how the amount of the will had been reached for example like:-

Cash in house = £15
Cash in Bank = £200
Stocks/Bonds = £50
Household furniture etc = £100

Therefore I am thinking that there must be an official document out there somewhere that would show how they reached the figure of £1,159 19s 9d in 1930 and if the Will Gov.uk website is not he right place where would be?

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 March 16 16:58 GMT (UK) »
No.  As has been said, that info is collected together by the executor and kept by him/her/them and is usually just made available to the benefactors from the Will. It is not submitted to any Government or other body (unless their is Inheritance tax to pay) and is not a Public document at all.

Once the Exectuor(s) have collected the info as to how the Estate is made up and what the total is (the sort of info you are wanting) they then swear an oath at a Probate Office and the total amount is recorded. But not how it is reached.  That info remains with the executor(s).
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 March 16 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Yes, to back up what Liz said that would be with the solicitor or even just a family member if they were the ones granted probate, so I'm afraid that there is very little chance of you finding that.