Author Topic: Portioner  (Read 5037 times)

Offline hms racker

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Portioner
« on: Wednesday 09 March 16 19:04 GMT (UK) »
In a marriage entry for 1769 in Scotland the groom is described as a "portioner". What is a portioner?

Any help appreciated.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Portioner
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 March 16 19:17 GMT (UK) »
From
http://www.rps.ac.uk/static/glossary.html

portioner
Sc. Law. The proprietor of a small estate or piece of land resulting from the division of an original forty merkland among co-heirs or otherwise, a small land-owner.

This is a great site from RPS - Records of the Parliaments of Scotland. The Glossary gives you all those particularly Scottish terms used in documents. Very handy!  ;)
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline hms racker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 March 16 19:27 GMT (UK) »
thank you. Do you think the share or division is recorded somewhere?

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 March 16 19:34 GMT (UK) »
thank you. Do you think the share or division is recorded somewhere?

Have a read at this site from the National Records of Scotland
http://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/guides/inheriting-land-and-buildings

and this one regarding the Register of Sasines (land transfers)

http://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/guides/sasines

Offline hms racker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 March 16 19:57 GMT (UK) »
thanks - interesting reading

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 February 21 04:42 GMT (UK) »
Very interesting! I just learned of an ancestor in Scotland named Andro Clerk. I was trying to decipher what was written in the Cairn of Lochwinnoch - and thought I could read "portioner" but it didn't make sense. Now it does, thank you.

There are other words that I can't make out or guess so I figured I would try to put down what I  think I can read, maybe it would someone will recognize what doesn't seem like a word to me .... in case anyone is up for a challenge!

So here goes: Andro Clerk portioner of Linthills and had ymiur (or that might be all one word - a place maybe, Ladymim??) with a tacher of 3000 mark Scots in 1753.

Thanks in advance (Linthills is in or near Lochwinnoch, Renfrewshire, I think)

cheers!

CNL.DVN:Knight;Jenkins;Bray;Harvey;West;Judd;Menhinnit;Griffin;Harding;Williams;Goman;Cock;Leach;Martin;Hewett.*KNT:Foster;Piper.*ESSX:Smith;Baker;Hawkins;Everitt;Spurgeon;Wellens. *MDX:Gruber;Shortland;Dukes;Cooper;Appelton;Watts;Hooper;Neale;Ricketts.*LCN:Burton;Blackburn;Walters;*SCOT:Blair;Dick;Stevenson;Williamson;Halliday;;Gilchrist;Leggat;Davies;Frew;Pollock;Richmond;Houston;McLachlan,Gemmel/Giemle,Clerk*NI:Ferguson;Boyd.*DEU:Gruber,Henne,Hohln(Württemberg)Hoffmann(Birkenfeld)

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 February 21 07:59 GMT (UK) »
Here is my reading of it.

Thomas Gemmel came from Cathcart parish __  _____
and weaver. His brother stocking maker Gorbals. He married Margaret dochter (daughter) of Andro
Clerk portioner of Linthills and Ladymuir with a tocher (dowry) of
3000 mark Scots in 1753. see vol.1  p350.
They had ....

GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Isle of Lewis
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 February 21 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Could the missing words cut off at top right be 'a warper'?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 February 21 14:50 GMT (UK) »
I agree!! I was hoping someone could compensate for my lack of knowledge of the relevant Scots terminology and locations, not to mention my transcription skills! Now I can add Ladymuir to Linthills as a place of interest. This is exciting.

And dowry makes sense too. THANK YOU so much. As for "warper," as soon as I read the proposed transcription and before I read your suggestion, Forfarian, that word popped into my head and I was about to look it up to see if it constituted an occupation. At first, I had wondered if the word was "worker".

There is a lot to unpack even on the image of this single page of the Cairn of Lochwinnoch. Further down, in a passing remark of a scandal (I think) in reference to my ancestor John McLachlan who married Margaret Gemmill, the granddaughter Andro Clerk.  Also, Dr. Andro Crawfurd, author of the precious Cairn) wrote that this John " was famous for his manners, odd etc. and he fed his family on potatoes 3 times a day. Potatoes provocative to incontinence - shakes(?can't really make sense out the rest)"... . How I would love to have access to the volumes he wrote!!!! The two or three pages I have been privileged to see contain such fascinating information!

Thanks again Isabel H and Forfarian for your help in revealing some of the secrets within :-)

ard
CNL.DVN:Knight;Jenkins;Bray;Harvey;West;Judd;Menhinnit;Griffin;Harding;Williams;Goman;Cock;Leach;Martin;Hewett.*KNT:Foster;Piper.*ESSX:Smith;Baker;Hawkins;Everitt;Spurgeon;Wellens. *MDX:Gruber;Shortland;Dukes;Cooper;Appelton;Watts;Hooper;Neale;Ricketts.*LCN:Burton;Blackburn;Walters;*SCOT:Blair;Dick;Stevenson;Williamson;Halliday;;Gilchrist;Leggat;Davies;Frew;Pollock;Richmond;Houston;McLachlan,Gemmel/Giemle,Clerk*NI:Ferguson;Boyd.*DEU:Gruber,Henne,Hohln(Württemberg)Hoffmann(Birkenfeld)