Author Topic: Portioner  (Read 4974 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Portioner
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 11 February 21 17:16 GMT (UK) »
@ ard, a quick look, found a few Gemmills mentioned in "Old Glasgow Weavers" a John Gemmil, wobster (weaver) Aug 1613, warned by the craft deacon against beating his apprentice John Park unmercifully under pain of fyve punds fine, the said John Park warned also to dae as he was tellt!
 An Alexander Gemmill, May 1614 fined fower pund for calling the deacon ane kneifvisch knave, not fit tae be ane deacon, and much else besides!
 A Nichol Gemmill was one of the signatories to an Agreement between the Glasgow weavers and the weavers of Gorbals an Bridgend in 1605.
 There were still Gemmells who were members of the Weavers Incorporation in Victorian times, William Gemmell, gardener 1879, Adam Gemmell, 1881 & another William Gemmell in 1883.

Bests,
Skoosh.

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 11 February 21 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Fascinating, Skoosh!!! Thank you. Is the "Old Glasgow Weavers" a searchable database?

Although his parents had been (mis)identified by early researchers, I long suspected that John McLachlane (a shoemaker) and Margaret Gemmell/Gemmill/Giemle (whose parents were Thomas and Margaret nee Clerk) were the parents of my documented ancestor John McLachlan (a weaver). However, I was only just yesterday able to confirm that hunch by obtaining the image of the "Johnshill Gemmills" page. I was really pleased!

John and Margaret's son John McLachlan (married to Ann Houston) immigrated to Canada through the Paisley Townhead Emigration Society. This was around the time of the "Radical War" aka the Scottish Insurrection of 1820, which I am interested in learning more about. Other family members emigrated also, and I think some Gemmells did as well but Im just beginning to explore this additional branch of the family! ONE DAY I will get over to Scotland to further explore those branches of my family!!

ard

CNL.DVN:Knight;Jenkins;Bray;Harvey;West;Judd;Menhinnit;Griffin;Harding;Williams;Goman;Cock;Leach;Martin;Hewett.*KNT:Foster;Piper.*ESSX:Smith;Baker;Hawkins;Everitt;Spurgeon;Wellens. *MDX:Gruber;Shortland;Dukes;Cooper;Appelton;Watts;Hooper;Neale;Ricketts.*LCN:Burton;Blackburn;Walters;*SCOT:Blair;Dick;Stevenson;Williamson;Halliday;;Gilchrist;Leggat;Davies;Frew;Pollock;Richmond;Houston;McLachlan,Gemmel/Giemle,Clerk*NI:Ferguson;Boyd.*DEU:Gruber,Henne,Hohln(Württemberg)Hoffmann(Birkenfeld)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 12 February 21 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello ard! all the Glasgow trades incorporations published a history, I have the second edition of "Old Glasgow Weavers" by deacon Robert D McEwan, 1908. Carson & Nicol Ltd, Bath Street, Glasgow.
 I don't know if it's readable online, an email to the Trades House of Glasgow would be your best bet, all the best with your researches.

https://www.tradeshouse.org.uk

Bests,
Skoosh.

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 12 February 21 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Skoosh, I'll look into it! It's becoming increasingly clear that quite a few of my ancestors from that area were in the weaving trade, which becomes all the more significant and interesting in light of the hardships they faced and the subsequent "Insurrection' ... especially considering that several appear to have emigrated around that time.

I find it particularly fascinating to discover the conditions facing my ancestors in various times and places!

Cheers,

ard

Ardeth
CNL.DVN:Knight;Jenkins;Bray;Harvey;West;Judd;Menhinnit;Griffin;Harding;Williams;Goman;Cock;Leach;Martin;Hewett.*KNT:Foster;Piper.*ESSX:Smith;Baker;Hawkins;Everitt;Spurgeon;Wellens. *MDX:Gruber;Shortland;Dukes;Cooper;Appelton;Watts;Hooper;Neale;Ricketts.*LCN:Burton;Blackburn;Walters;*SCOT:Blair;Dick;Stevenson;Williamson;Halliday;;Gilchrist;Leggat;Davies;Frew;Pollock;Richmond;Houston;McLachlan,Gemmel/Giemle,Clerk*NI:Ferguson;Boyd.*DEU:Gruber,Henne,Hohln(Württemberg)Hoffmann(Birkenfeld)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 13 February 21 09:40 GMT (UK) »

Offline Istrice

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 13 February 21 13:05 GMT (UK) »
ard,

My apologies if you have already seen the following reference.

https://libcat.renfrewshire.gov.uk/iguana/www.main.cls?surl=CairnofLochwinnoch

Istrice

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 13 February 21 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Skoosh and Istrice! I always appreciate receiving links and hints 😉 I will definitely check them out, it's actually been a while since I've looked into the event in any depth.

Have a great weekend!

ard

Offline Istrice

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 13 February 21 13:22 GMT (UK) »
ard,

A link to the Internet "Way Back Machine".  Possibly the 48 volumes have been digitised and are available to read.
https://archive.org/details/insearchofscotti00hami/page/176/mode/2up?q=%22cairn+of+lochwinnoch%22

Istrice

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 13 February 21 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Istrice

I know that it is possible to consult the contents of the documents in Scotland but I live in Canada, so that won't be possible for me to do for a good while yet! I also think that Family Search (the Latter Day Saints organization) may have digitized several volumes (?) but, to my knowledge, these aren't available online, only through their centres, or maybe even only certain ones. A future project, to be sure... One day.....!

ard

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/359031?availability=Family%20History%20Library