Author Topic: Marion Paton WATT  (Read 1246 times)

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Marion Paton WATT
« on: Friday 11 March 16 06:33 GMT (UK) »
Marion Paton Watt was the daughter of George WATT and Margaret PATON, who were married 1817. According to Familysearch she was born 1822 at Barry.

George and Margaret, along with two sons William Hogg WATT born 1818 and John Paton WATT born 1825 all arrived in New Zealand in the early 1840s, as William Hogg WATT was married in May 1845.

Can find no record of Marion in NZ anywhere, so wondering if she stayed in Scotland or died young.

Hoping a fresh pair of eyes can find her.

Thanks
Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Marion Paton WATT
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 March 16 08:36 GMT (UK) »
I did not find her, or the rest of her family, on a cursory look at http://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl - you might like to make a more thorough search there in case I missed them. Or at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk.

If, however, the family is not in the 1841 census, this suggests that they may have left Scotland before that. On the date of the 1841 census (7 June 1841) she was still only 18 (if alive) and I think it's unlikely that a family would leave an 18-year-old unmarried daughter behind when travelling to NZ.

She could, I suppose, have married unusually young, and stayed behind with her husband.

According to the MI book, there are no Watts commemorated on stones in Barry.

You could look for a death at www.scotlandspeople. There are few records of deaths before 1855, but if she did stay in Scotland, and survived until she was 33, there should be a death certificate, which should be indexed under her maiden name.

FWIW I think it is more likely that she died before the rest of her family emigrated.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 March 16 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian.

Although she was baptised at Barry, I think she may have been born at Dundee, which is where her siblings were born.

Will try ScotlandsPeople and see what I can find.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline EBurd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 May 18 11:44 BST (UK) »
William Hogg Watt came to NZ first then his brother John Paton followed by George the father with Two children from his second marriage to another Margaret
William Hogg Watt first set foot in NZ about 1839
I have not found any more about Marion apart from her birth
Regards
Liz