Author Topic: James Loftus and Rosanna marriage help  (Read 2120 times)

Offline Sandgrounder1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Loftus and Rosanna marriage help
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 08 July 17 10:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have just come across your post.  I seem to be researching the same family.  I checked the GRO records for Peter Loftus who was 6 in 1851, and it comes up with 2 possibles, born 1844, mmn McDonnell and born 1845, mmn McNelly.

Looking at other children born to these mothers, I came to the conclusion that the most likely was McNelly.

I note that you have a McNally marrying a Loftus, so the two families could be related and Roseanna's maiden name is probably McNally.

The details below are from a post of mine on here a few years ago:

"My link is John Loftus, born c. 1851, father William (according to marriage certificate)
John married Mary Sarchfield in North Meols, Lancashire, (now Southport) in 1874.  He wasn't on the 1871 census, was missing from the 1881 census (his wife was listed with her parents under her married name) and he died in North Meols before the next census. Mary was born in Manchester.
There is a possible listing - a John Loftus lodging in Birkenhead in 1881, married, occupation bricklayer's labourer, no wife listed, born Ireland.
John's son, William, used to say he received postcards from his cousin Cissy Loftus.  Cissy was a famous actress, born Glasgow, daughter of Marie Loftus also a famous actress, and Ben Brown.
Via a contact I know there is a connection to Wolverhampton - James Loftus born. c. 1827 in Wolverhampton who ended up in Glasgow with a family story that his children were looked after by Marie Loftus, when his wife died.
So I am looking for anyone with Glasgow, Manchester, North Meols or Wolverhampton Loftus connections or any connection of Loftus with the names Sarchfield/Sarsfield, McLoughlin or Mitchell.
All my research so far points back to Ballina or Crossmolina, Mayo."

I have lots more information if you would like to send me a pm.
CONWAY, Westport, Mayo; TEALE, Salford, Manchester; GILCHRIST, Edinburgh; GRIFFITHS, East Stonehouse, Devon / Cardiff; VENNEN (and variations) Cornwall; TOY, Cornwall; ENGLAND, Cromer/Northrepps, Norfolk; LOFTUS, Cissie and Marie, Music Hall Artistes, Glasgow; PORTSWORTHY, Cornwall; SARCHFIELD, Manchester/Southport

Offline vapcq45

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Loftus and Rosanna marriage help
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 09 July 17 17:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your message and on Ancestry. I think we may have unrelated James's but bear with me and I'll get back to you soon in more detail.
Thanks, Val