Author Topic: 1901 Dublin Census  (Read 521 times)

Offline irish2gen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1901 Dublin Census
« on: Tuesday 15 March 16 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Good Day,
On the 1901 Dublin Census a line is crossed out. It is the wife of the man living there. Underneath it says " Further Information Declined". However, the transcriber recorded the crossed out person. The last column gives an illness that is transcribed as "insafed".
I have attached the block with original by enumerator. Does anyone have any idea what her illness may have been? I believe this block was only for Deaf, Dumb, Blind?Imbecile. Another interesting thing is the husband is named first as married, then the next person is a woman who is a cook and then the wife is listed and then crossed out. It doesn't make sense to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated  :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 Dublin Census
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps insane? Have you checked for the wife appearing in an institution of some sort under her initials?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 21:29 GMT (UK) »
The full census form isn't hard to find
I see to possibles for the wife
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01h9r/

Offline irish2gen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to you both. I do believe she might have gone insane. She had 8 children and they all died at different ages. I never thought of an asylum but that makes sense as to why the wife was added after the boarder. The enumerator probably asked who lived in the house and then asked him who his wife was. The husband gave the information and realized she wasn't deaf, dumb, blind etc and had her crossed out. Plus it would explain why he would not give further information. There was a stigma to insanity.I will never know for sure, but it makes some sense to me now.