Author Topic: Buried with military honours in Taunton, Somerset, but where?  (Read 2724 times)

Offline millymollymandy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Buried with military honours in Taunton, Somerset, but where?
« on: Wednesday 16 March 16 21:39 GMT (UK) »
I have recently discovered in a copy of the Taunton Courier dated 14 November 1923, that my step grandfather Henry James Vincent, who served in the 1st Somerset Light Infantry for 22 years, was buried with military honours. The newspaper says his funeral took place on 10 November 1923 at St. James' Cemetery, Taunton. I have looked at a map of Taunton and the cemetery is in Staplegrove Road, some distance from the church.

I wonder if someone is able to check the burial records in Somerset to confirm where exactly he is buried and, better still, photograph his grave for me. Any help in this respect would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Millymollymandy  :)

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Buried with military honours in Taunton, Somerset, but where?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 March 16 14:17 GMT (UK) »
I can confirm that St James' Cemetery is on Staplegrove Road, rather than next to the church, but I'm not in a position to check any records for you.

However, it appears the Gravestone Photographic Resource website has a good set of records and photos - see http://www.gravestonephotos.com/public/cemetery.php?cemetery=3471&scrwidth=320  Unfortunately the full database of names seems to be unavailable at present, but it's probably worth checking again later.

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline millymollymandy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Buried with military honours in Taunton, Somerset, but where?
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 March 16 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Arthur for your prompt reply and for the helpful information. I have not come across the website you refer to before, so thanks for that.

Regards,
Millymollymandy  :)