Author Topic: Hampshire and Isle of Wight Home Children to Canada/Australia  (Read 1704 times)

Offline alanmack

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hampshire and Isle of Wight Home Children to Canada/Australia
« on: Wednesday 16 March 16 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Since RootsChat took the former Canadian British Home Child database under its wing in April 2015, members have added over 2000 new entries. The total now stands at 23,640. Only around 140 have been "claimed" and a Relative Link put on them.

Of the total, 142 have been clearly identified as being born in Hampshire and 21 in the Isle of Wight. There may be many more left unlabelled. Have you found your emigre orphaned relatives yet? You can search from the white button-bar at:

http://surname.rootschat.com/lexicon/dbsig/index.php?dbsig_name=British+Home+Children

If you find them and corrections or omissions are noted, these can be made good via the Readers Comment box (followed by Save Record) or if extensive (>500 chars) to me by PM please.

[ Edit: the number of records not given  County label of HAM amounts to over 70 for Hampshire and the Isle of Wight]

alanmack
data co-ordinator
RootsChat BHC database
Glamorgan - Carpenter, Chamberlain, Ellis, Watkins, Rees, Bevan
Wiltshire - Carpenter, Chamberlain, Ellis, Merrett
Essex - Burdon, Taylor, Menzies
Canada - Burdon, Parkinson
Australia - Carpenter, Burdon

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hampshire and Isle of Wight Home Children to Canada/Australia
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 March 16 22:34 GMT (UK) »

Hi alanmack,

Two of my Warren Great Uncles were sent to Canada as British Home Children by the NCH. I've found them on the Passenger Lists, but don't think I've checked this database.

I will go through it tomorrow, but just wanted to reply tonight, so as not to lose track of where it is.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline alanmack

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 March 16 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Romilly,
           I think they're there! :D

alanmack

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 March 16 08:33 GMT (UK) »

Hi alanmack,

I've found Ernest Henry Warren, still looking for his brother Norman Claude Warren.

I can't see how I can put my interest in them on there though?

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline alanmack

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 March 16 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Romilly,

If you have a name to search for the best approach is via the Quick Search. When you have chosen the initial letter and then section of that letter you will see the Table View. Scrolling through to the surname you want to check you will see to the left of each individual, a Magnifying glass icon. Clicking on that takes you to the individual's Page View with all the detail.

To add your Relative Link just click on the button bottom right of the Page View. To add amendments for one of the existing records submit the changes or additions via the Reader's Comments box followed by the Save Record button at the bottom of the screen.

alanmack

P.S. Yes, that's the pair I thought were yours.  :)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 March 16 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks alanmack,

I've added my interest to their pages. I have copies of their files from the NCH, UK but they have little information on the boys beyond what is shown here.

Romilly.
Researching: