Author Topic: Crookham baptisms - look up request  (Read 4589 times)

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Crookham baptisms - look up request
« on: Saturday 19 March 16 15:07 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for any Trotters baptised in Crookham. Can anyone do a search for me. Especially a Sarah Trotter born 1791 and an Annabell born 1810.  Although Annabell seemed to change between Annabell and Isabella Ann through the census so not sure what she was baptised.

Barbara

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Crookham baptisms - look up request
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 March 16 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Which church?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 March 16 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I have no idea, only know that they were born there from the census. How many are there?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 March 16 16:59 GMT (UK) »
There is always a possibility they were baptised outside of Crookham - difficult to say

http://communities.northumberland.gov.uk/Crookham.htm
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 March 16 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Carole
I have Henry Trotter, gardener at Crookham and his wife Catherine Jackson in the Ford dissenters but no sign of Annabell or of Sarah.  I suspect them to be related to Henry and Catherine so it would probably be the Presbyterian church at Crookham.  Frustrating that I can see they exist on family search but I am not allowed to look at them unless I go to Northumberland archives or a family search centre. Hence the request for a look up.  :-\

Barbara

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 March 16 22:54 GMT (UK) »
I'll be at the archives on Wednesday - happy to do a look up.

Christine

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 March 16 23:19 GMT (UK) »
I see Annabel is a single parent in 1851 - mis-transcribed as Forker!!

Births June qtr 1850     
Isabella Trotter     Glendale    25   313

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 March 16 02:41 GMT (UK) »
I have access to a transcript for Crookham Presbyterian 1811 to 1833 (so unfortunately just outside the dates you are mainly interested in). There are quite a few Trotter baptisms, and there seems to have been more than one Henry/Hendry. These are the two Trotter  baps closest in time to your period.

George s/o Hendry Trotter by his wife Jane McKensy. Born at Crookham 27 Oct 1811.
7 Feb 1813 Andrew s/o Hendry Trotter, Mason, by his wife Margret Hunter. Born at Bruce's Castle, Ford Parish 4 Feb 1813.

Just in case it is of interest, there was this bap in Wooler West Presbyterian:

15 Jan 1767 Elisabeth daughter to James Troter (sic) by his wife Bella, Wooller.

I agree with the suggestion that your family may have been baptised outside Crookham even if they lived there as the particular denomination and also the particular Minister were generally very important to dissenting families and they were prepared to lug a baby a reasonable distance to get to the Minister/church of their choice. That includes over the Border.

Records of dissenting congregations in Northumberland are also incomplete - some Ministers kept no records even into the 19th century and some registers were damaged or lost. There were calls for some kind of civil registration long before 1837 because of these kinds of problems.

BTW, I think the wording of the restriction when you try to access the images on-line is misleading as I have been informed by FamilySearch that non-LDS members cannot access these images even at a Family History Centre.

I pursued this with Familysearch a couple of years ago, as I have an LDS account (for members of the public) to order films  but was still not able to access some Northumberland images even at my local LDS Family History Centre.

After a couple of weeks of persistent email enquiries to answer-bots I was eventually escalated to a real human, and then handed rapidly up the hierarchy of expertise as no-one could work out why I could not access the records when they could. It turned that the owner of the records (i.e. the Northumberland Archives) had placed restrictions so that only LDS church members with an LDS member account are able to view the records. Presumably this is to reserve the ability to on-sell the records to a commercial outfit at some point...but still waiting for that to happen.

Offline belfordian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 March 16 08:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I have checked the Crookham Pre records for both Sarah and Annabell. No baptisms for Those names unfortunately. However there are several baptisms for children of Henry Trotter gardener and Jane McKinsey  for example Alexander  in 1817 and William in 1814. Is it possible that Henry,s first wife was Catherine and when she died he then married Jane? Just a thought.

I also checked Wooler and Etal Pres but no sign of the missing daughters.

Val
GLASS (Northumberland, Fife, Roxburghshire)
DOCKWREY (South Shields)
REDPATH (Northumberland, Oklahoma)
SOUTHERN, SUTHREN, SITHERN (North Northumberland)
DARLING (Carham)