Author Topic: Cobham family in Carrickfergus  (Read 3420 times)

Offline Jonson1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cobham family in Carrickfergus
« on: Monday 21 March 16 09:26 GMT (UK) »
I wonder whether anyone can help?  Alexander Cobham bought the manor of Shinfield, Berkshire, around 1786, married Charlotte Slade, the daughter of a Somerset baronet, in 1787 and became high sheriff of Berkshire in 1790. He seems to have come from nowhere, although some have suggested he made his money through the East India Company. Possible birthdate around 1836 and death 1809. In his will, proved PCC 16th October 1809, he mentions his sister Mary, wife of Edward Craig of Carrickfergus, and their sons, William, Thomas and Edward. William and Thomas predecease him and he actually leaves Shinfield to his godson, Alexander Cobham Martyr, the infant son of his cousin Catherine Jane Martyr.  Catherine was the only daughter of Thomas Cobham and she was born 1773 in Wilmington, North Carolina, where her father was a doctor.

I have found reference to the fact that Mary (Cobham) Craig (possible dates 1750 to 1825) was the daughter of James Cobham (no dates) of Carrickfergus and that he was was the son of the Revd James Cobham (1678?-1759?), Presbyterian minister of Ballycarry for over 50 years. I have not been able to find the births of Mary and Alexander however.

Dr Thomas Cobham of Wilmington was a loyalist who had to leave North Carolina after the American War of Independence. He eventually settled near Plymouth where he died in 1798. His PCC will mentions a brother, Archibald Cobham, who was a naval surgeon and his daughter, Catherine, but no other relations. Archibald Cobham died in 1805 and his will, proved PCC 23rd March 1805, mentions only his wife, Kezurah. Although people in North Carolina referred to Thomas Cobham at the time as being Scottish, I am now wondering whether he too came from around Carrigfergus.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Cobham family in Carrickfergus
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 March 16 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Some 1820's Newspapers in Ireland have reference to property in Carrickfergus, formerly under possession of an Alexander Cobham.

The Larne Times in 1938 also carries a historical story from 1760, which mentions a Mr and Mrs James Cobham at their home in West Street, Carrickfergus.

A 1942 article, commemorating 300 yrs of Presbyterianism in Carrickfergus, has comment from the Methodist Church, showing friendship between the churches and recalling similar friendship in the past by mentioning when the Rev John Wesley had been 'hospitably entertained' by a James Cobham, 'leading member and trustee of the First Congregation'. As far as I can discover, on 24 July 1756, John Wesley preached his first sermon in the Session House at Carrickfergus.

First Carrickfergus Presbyterian Church has baptisms from 1823 to 1901 and marriages 1823 to 1905, available at PRONI on MIC/1P/157, albeit latter than the dates you were hopeful of.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 March 16 11:32 GMT (UK) »
PRONI have various Cobham references in their online catalogue. Perhaps of interest are:

D509/452
Dates :  20 June 1770

Description :  Counterpart lease of 60 acres 2r. 29 per. I.P.M. for three lives or 41 years - Rent: £21 p.a. plus fees of Rt Hon. Arthur Earl of Donegall to James Cobham, Carrickfergus relating to Liberties of Carrickfergus.

D509/1436
Dates :  1 January 1803

Description :  Lease of 60 acres 2r. 29 per. I.P.M. for 61 years (See D509/452) - Rent: £21 2s. p.a. plus fees of Most Hon. George Augustus Marquess of Donegall to Alexander Cobham, Shinefield Place near Reading, Berkshire relating to Liberties of Carrickfergus, Co. Antrim.

others can be checked at:
http://apps.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_eCatNI_IE/SearchPage.aspx

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Jonson1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 March 16 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi scotmum.
Thanks for coming back to me. I will certainly pursue the PRONI link and see what else might be of help. From what you have given me, it looks as if I am on the right track and that the Cobhams were from present day Northern Ireland. Alexander Cobham would appear to have still kept his connections with Carrickfergus despite living at Shinfield and it is good to see a connection between him and the James Cobham I mentioned.  I of course forgot that Alexander Cobham's birth date is unusually mentioned in his will, 24th March 1736/37 which means 1737.

With Irish parish registers being more difficult, I may be unable to prove the birth place and date for Thomas and Archibald Cobham.  I will see whether there might be wills for the two James Cobhams.

Thanks again
Jonson1

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 March 16 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Ballycarry Presbyterian Church- Mr. James Cobham (lic. Belfast) ordained c1700 and died 23 Feb.1759 according to A History of Congregations in the Presbyterian Church in Ireland 1610-1982.

"Parish records" refer to Church of Ireland or R.C. ones.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 March 16 05:00 GMT (UK) »
A bit available on the internet if you google "cobham" and "carrickfergus", including this about the two James, father and son:

http://biblicalstudies.org.uk/pdf/whs/21-6.pdf

Also the following Cobham references, in case they provide any hooks going forward.  An Ann Taylor Cobham died on 12 February 1758 and was buried in Carrickfergus Church of Ireland, her father was called James Cobham. An Alexander Cobham was baptised in Carrickfergus Church of Ireland on 13 September 1786, his parents were James Cobham and Elizabeth Riddle.  A Margaret Clark Cobham was baptised in Carrickfergus Church of Ireland on 16 January 1789, her father was William Cobham.

Offline Jonson1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 March 16 20:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks gaffy and aghadowey for your two messages. All helping me to get a picture of the Cobham family in Carrickfergus, but I am going to have a bit more work to prove the  connection. There were obviously a number of Cobhams around at that time. I wonder whether either of the two James Cobham's, father and son, left a will.

I am in touch with the Martyr/Cobham descendants who inherited Shinfield, but they don't seem to have any old family papers that help. The usual stories about the family coming over with William the Conquerer!

Jonson1

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 April 16 22:46 BST (UK) »
There's a few mentions of James Cobham in "The History and Antiquities of the County of the Town of Carrickfergus..." (1909) which is freely available online I think.  It also mentions a James Craig who could potentially be the father of Edward Craig, though goodness knows how you'd ever prove it.  (Cobham apparently hosted Thurot as well - which is another little claim to fame.)

I don't think there's as much detail as in the biblicalstudies link gaffy posted.  Looking at it though, maybe there will be other accounts of Wesley's visit - perhaps they could mention the family?

Offline Jonson1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 April 16 22:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gilby - although I think it is going to be difficult to find exact dates and connections, I am beginning to build up a picture of Cobhams and Craigs around Carrickfergus in the 18th century. Useful that John Wesley stayed with James Cobham at that precise moment!  Away for a few days, but will work through all this on my return. Jonson1