Author Topic: Carrollstown House, Trim, Co Meath  (Read 3641 times)

Offline SheilaW3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Carrollstown House, Trim, Co Meath
« on: Monday 21 March 16 19:25 GMT (UK) »
My ancestors worked for the Dunne Cullinane family at Carrollstown House, which is on the Trim - Dunderry Road. The house burned down in 1938. Is it possible that records of the house, i.e who worked there, is still in existence? My family's name was Leonard, my Grandmother told me that her Grandmother, also called Bridget Leonard "reared" Paddy Dunne Cullinane, the last of the family. How she reared him, I do not know; she could not have been wet nurse as her children were grown up by the time Paddy Dunne Cullinane was born in 1898. I know the male Leonards would have worked as Herds on the estate; and the female Leonard may have worked in the Big House. Any information greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Conkey, McLaughlin, Annett, Caffrey; Leonard; Glennon; Shanley; Gill; Murtagh

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Carrollstown House, Trim, Co Meath
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 March 16 20:46 GMT (UK) »
As you can see PJ had a governess in 1911, and in neither Census does Bridget Leonard have an occupation, I would think it more likely PJ preferred hanging out in the Leonard's cosy family home rather than the big,pristine, don't touch that, Carrollstown.

Offline SheilaW3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 March 16 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for that insight, and it would certainly make sense of what my Grandmother told me. Unfortunately I wasn't interested enough in Genealogy to question her more!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 March 16 22:26 GMT (UK) »
do you know if Bridget was a Fagan before she married, was her husband Michael and did the daughter Mary marry John Brady in 1914 and son Patrick marry a Connor (I think) in 1915?

Offline SheilaW3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 March 16 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Yes Bridget was a Fagan, I can't find out who her Parents were. She married Michael Leonard, and they had children Mary, Christopher (my G.G.G.F) Patrick, Rose Ann, there may have been a Michael, James, and a John who is said to have gone to U.S.A and married a Lady who had Polo Pony stables, but can't get confirmation of this. Mary married John Brady, Christopher - Julia Caffrey and Mary Murray; Patrick - Possibly Jane Connor; Rose Ann - John Garry; James - Anne Kane. Thank you for your help, its much appreciated. I have quite a bit of information, but not enough to complete my family tree!!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 March 16 21:36 GMT (UK) »

Offline SheilaW3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 March 16 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much Sinnan - I am beginning to think James is actually Michael - judging by those records, as he died in 1924 aged 50ish, and that would certainly tally - he may have been Christened Michael, but called Jim in the family. He was a Herd on Carrollstown Estate, and died while milking a cow! I just wish there were house records, but it does not look like it, as Carrollstown House burned down in 1938 and probably records went too, which would have given names of those who worked there, which was what I really needed. I'll just have to be satisfied with what I've got. Appreciate your help. (Unfortunately records at Dunderry Parish don[t start till 1837, a few years after Bridget Leonard, nee Fagan was born.)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 March 16 22:27 GMT (UK) »
I didn't see her marriage there so Bridget may be from one of the neighbouring parishes. It's a shame she didn't fill in the details of number of children in 1911.
Good luck with your search.