Author Topic: Re. Mary Leonard, nee Murray.  (Read 1686 times)

Offline SheilaW3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re. Mary Leonard, nee Murray.
« on: Monday 21 March 16 19:30 GMT (UK) »
My Great Grandfather married a Lady called Mary; she was born in 1865 in County Meath, location not known, and her Father was Patrick Leonard a Labourer. She first married a man called Dempsey, first name not known. She is listed on the 1911 Census living with my Great Grandfather, Christopher Leonard at 22 Hendrick Lane, Dublin where they had 5 children, Mary, John and Kathleen (Twins) James and Christina. I would like to know more about Mary. Any information about Mary would be appreciated.
Conkey, McLaughlin, Annett, Caffrey; Leonard; Glennon; Shanley; Gill; Murtagh

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Re. Mary Leonard, nee Murray.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 March 16 20:10 GMT (UK) »
According to the 1911 census Christopher and Mary Leonard were married 25 years- if Mary was 46 then she supposedly married Christopher when she was about 21 years old-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Arran_Quay/Hendrick_Lane/55752

Both were born in Meath but eldest child in census in Wicklow so marriages could be in a variety of places. Census says there were 11 children so Mary may not be the eldest.

Although it's in the 1930s there is a Dublin marriage for a Christopher Leonard & a Mary Dempsey-
http://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/86684d6184876

Added- her father was Patrick Leonard but she was nee Murray  :-\

Have you found Christopher & Mary in 1901? (I'm getting some strange possibilities which don't match up with the 1911 census)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline SheilaW3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 March 16 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much. Information much the same as what I've got. You see, G.G.F Christopher Leonard was married to Julia Caffrey in 1886 at Kilbride, Co Meath - they had 6 children, and in 1897 she was committed to the then Asylum at Mullingar where she had their last child. Christopher and the children were in the Workhouse in Trim, in 1901, but by 1911 he was with Mary Murray having a second family. It is possible that the eldest child Mary, was the child of her first Husband, Mr Dempsey. I am descended from Christopher Leonard and Julia Caffrey, but am very curious to know more about Mary Leonard nee Murray, her Father was Patrick Murray according to their marriage record. But I don't know her Husband's first name. I am ALMOST certain Mary came from Trim area, definitley Co Meath born 1865. Thank you.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 March 16 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Your original post said Mary's father was Peter Leonard
My Great Grandfather married a Lady called Mary; she was born in 1865 in County Meath, location not known, and her Father was Patrick Leonard a Labourer. She first married a man called Dempsey, first name not known. She is listed on the 1911 Census living with my Great Grandfather, Christopher Leonard at 22 Hendrick Lane, Dublin where they had 5 children, Mary, John and Kathleen (Twins) James and Christina. I would like to know more about Mary. Any information about Mary would be appreciated.
If you have already found details on the people you are looking for then please tell us the information, post links, etc. so that we don't waste time looking for what you've already found. Your latest post contains more details which would have saved me much time searching.

It sounds as though the 1937 marriage for Christopher Leonard & Mary Dempsey might be a possibility- eapecially if they had to wait for a previous spouse to die.

Offline SheilaW3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 March 16 11:49 GMT (UK) »
I am very sorry, but I thought there might have been more information that I hadn't found.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 March 16 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Suggest you might want to check that late marriage to see if it is the correct couple finally getting married.

Offline SheilaW3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 March 16 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Yes definitley them, I don't know why they did not marry earlier as he became a widower in 1919, but maybe Mary's first husband was still alive. They married 3 years before Christopher's death in 1940. I can't get a Birth for Mary - according to 1911 Census, she was born 1865 in Co Meath, but don't know where in Meath. I don't know where she was in 1901, or when she and Christopher met. They would have descendents, but I can't seem to trace them, in spite of putting messages on various sites. I may try local Newspaper next.  Thanks for all the help. 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 March 16 16:25 GMT (UK) »
"I can't get a Birth for Mary - according to 1911 Census, she was born 1865 in Co Meath, but don't know where in Meath."

You already know that the 1911 census details are not completely true. It's quite possible that Mary was born before the start of birth registration (1864) or her birth was not registered. If you do find a birth for a Mary Murray in Meath c1865 with father Patrick it may be impossible to be sure you've found the correct person.

Have you tried searching the online parish registers yet? registers for Trim are here-
http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0963