Author Topic: Marthe Monteil  (Read 330 times)

Offline Jan19230

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Marthe Monteil
« on: Tuesday 22 March 16 10:59 GMT (UK) »
This post is on behalf of a friend, who is trying to help someone else, so the detail is a bit scratchy.

This is what I have

we have been contacted by a lady who lives in New York, USA. She was going through her mums possessions and found  2 letters from the 2nd world war. Miss Joyce de Mose was 17 years old when she wrote to 'Rochester unit American relief for France' to ask if she could adopt/help a French girl after reading an article in the newspaper. They appointed her Martha Monteil who was 14 years and lived (or lives) in Lanteuil, Limousin, France. This is about 30 minutes from where we live. Marta's father (Jean Monteil) and brother (Ernest Monteil) were arrested by the Nazis for providing food to the resistance (maquis)on 16 April 1944. This event is referred to as 'la rafle de La Boudie'. They where deported to Neuengamme concentration camp where they both died. The mother of Martha was left with 7 children a had a hard time running the farm. We hope we can find Martha or relatives so the daughter of Mrs de Mose can return the letters to them.

My friend has contacted the Mairie in Lanteuil as she lives nearby, but can anyone else help with this.  Many thanks. 

Jan
JOHNSTON, STOCKER - Middlesex
DORMODY (and variants)
HERRING - Oxford, Bucks, Warwickshire, Essex
WHITBREAD - Essex, Beds
BOGG - Scotland, Essex

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marthe Monteil
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 March 16 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Two telephone numbers in the right area, one in Ussac, another in Objat.  Worth  calling??

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Jan19230

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Marthe Monteil
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 March 16 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Max D.  Will pass it on.

I've found three Monteil men in the same village in PagesBlanches and have also found the father and what looks like two brothers on the Holocaust Survivors and Victims list (great website).   My friend has also contacted the local Mairie to see if they can help get the letters back to the family.

Best wishes

Jan
JOHNSTON, STOCKER - Middlesex
DORMODY (and variants)
HERRING - Oxford, Bucks, Warwickshire, Essex
WHITBREAD - Essex, Beds
BOGG - Scotland, Essex