Author Topic: The worst Ancestry transcription ever?  (Read 67559 times)

Offline Mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The worst Ancestry transcription ever?
« Reply #207 on: Thursday 20 February 20 04:12 GMT (UK) »
I don't usually like to comment on these, conscious that some of my own transcriptions may be dodgy but cannot resist with this one who apparently  was born in Sale, USA

Well.... the letters U S A do appear consecutively but ....

currently concentrating on a number of Staffordshire families.

Offline wee Hugh

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: Thursday 20 February 20 13:42 GMT (UK) »
To me the word 'relict' conjures up an image of something discovered at the back of the fridge, probably already growing whiskers.  It's an unfortunate word to use for a widow, yet anyone who has had anything to do with family history knows that that is what is meant when it appears in a death notice in an old newspaper.

For the transcribers and indexers at fAnciestree, however, "relict of XY" means he was her father.  Let's keep incest in the family!
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: Sunday 24 May 20 09:49 BST (UK) »
Can't blame Ancestry for this one I found this morning  :-\

Found a death on Irish Genealogy site (Irish births, marriages, deaths) for an unknown daughter when searching for death of son I knew died before 1911 (both children died from scarletina a few days apart). So, next step was to search for birth of little Emily. She died in 1906 aged 4 so thought it should be 1901-1903. Nothing under 'Emily Ross' so tried 'Ross' then just 'Emily' and finally found he I in the index- Emily GORTFAD mother- MCUSSTER instead of Emily Ross mother McMaster!
Transcriber has put father's residence (Gortfad) as the surname and created a fairly unique surname for the mother-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1902/01926/1745868.pdf

Sadly, the parents seem to have lost many of their children at birth or shortly after.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!