Author Topic: The worst Ancestry transcription ever?  (Read 86888 times)

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The worst Ancestry transcription ever?
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 13 September 16 05:13 BST (UK) »
Humbly, Andrew, I have to give all the credit to the transcriber.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 18 September 16 15:00 BST (UK) »
My ancestors came from Huntingdonshire, Hunts for short, however more than once I have come across the transcript giving "Hants".  Only one letter, but it makes a lot of difference when you are searching records.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Online Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 18 September 16 16:06 BST (UK) »
I have been given the runaround with a mistake like that...My Great Grandmother was born Salford, Lancs...transcribed in 1901 as born in Alford, Lincs. Just two letters out but caused me years of searching in the wrong place  ::)
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 18 September 16 16:16 BST (UK) »
My favourite is the 1911 for my Richard William Baxter Gardner, he is transcribed as Reta Haidee Bailee Gadwa.

That is quite spectacular!

I'm glad that my ancestors generally lived in small towns because on occasions I've been reduced to looking through pages and pages of original images of census records in order to find them. My Thomas Milburn was found as Thomase Millison living with his father John Milliron (sigh) and the absence of my Joseph Carter and family was eventually explained by virtue of their surname being mistranscribed as Liota...

Online Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Sunday 18 September 16 16:22 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D...That's a shocker  :o
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Chilternbirder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sunday 18 September 16 16:48 BST (UK) »

But after some considerations over several days of leaving the print of the image on my desk, I have come to the conclusion that the surname "Singleton" is a better transcription than Laylutore.
I read that one as Singleton straight away but an hour previously I had been looking at my gg aunt's details and her married name was Singleton. I am not sure if I would have read it that promptly if I had come to it cold.

The only glaring transcription error that has given me problems was my own reading of an 1841 census on microfiche in pre internet days. Again I was expecting to see the name and the person was of the right occupation and right age. It was only when I realised that Ancestry had read the name differently that I rechecked and found my error. Luckily it only moved the brick wall forward by one generation.
Crabb from Laurencekirk / Fordoun and Scurry from mid Essex

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 18 September 16 19:54 BST (UK) »
My favourite is the 1911 for my Richard William Baxter Gardner, he is transcribed as Reta Haidee Bailee Gadwa.

That is quite spectacular!

I'm glad that my ancestors generally lived in small towns because on occasions I've been reduced to looking through pages and pages of original images of census records in order to find them. My Thomas Milburn was found as Thomase Millison living with his father John Milliron (sigh) and the absence of my Joseph Carter and family was eventually explained by virtue of their surname being mistranscribed as Liota...
Ayashi, that is exactly the reason I eventually found him, he lived at Sunderland Point which thankfully only contains a handful of houses so I trawled through each page!
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 18 September 16 20:20 BST (UK) »
Jemima Crumpler transcribed as Fanina Oompler.
This has to be my favourite. :)
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 20 September 16 09:24 BST (UK) »
Some beauties here - Wales 1851 at Aberystruth, Monmouthshire.

W S Bullard, born Corenhouse - actually William Ballard b Crickhowell
Iza Bullard, actually John Ballard
Mary Anna J Smert, born Frooper, Somerset - actually Mary Ann Sweet b Frome

Took me a while to find them!

Judith   
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk