Author Topic: The worst Ancestry transcription ever?  (Read 88598 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: The worst Ancestry transcription ever?
« Reply #108 on: Tuesday 15 November 16 02:01 GMT (UK) »
I am intrigued by the Brush and Mop Manufactory Offices Warehouse!

Forfarian,

That was unoccupied.

Address my family are at is Pilgrim St, 8 Fosters Court

My 3 x g g/father was a Brush Maker so probably worked for that company?

Class: RG11 Piece 5062 Folio 90 Page 30

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Tuesday 15 November 16 12:23 GMT (UK) »
My favourite is the 1911 for my Richard William Baxter Gardner, he is transcribed as Reta Haidee Bailee Gadwa.

That is quite spectacular!

Incredible to say the least....I wonder what language their OCR machine was set on  ???  ::)  ;D  ;D

I think that one beats Rock Doffethor myself  :P

Annie
Annie, I have to say 'Indian Call Centre' sprang to mind!
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline rayel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Monday 21 November 16 09:05 GMT (UK) »
I used to be a transcriber, and unless you have actualy done it you dont realise how hard on the eyes it can be as some of the records are a total mess and very hard to transcribe, I done it for 4 years but I had to give it up because of the strain to my eye s, I think people who do this job and may I say most of them are volunteers as was I are doing the very best they can do and have helped so many people with their research
plymouth

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Monday 21 November 16 13:56 GMT (UK) »
I used to be a transcriber, and unless you have actualy done it you dont realise how hard on the eyes it can be as some of the records are a total mess and very hard to transcribe, I done it for 4 years but I had to give it up because of the strain to my eye s, I think people who do this job and may I say most of them are volunteers as was I are doing the very best they can do and have helped so many people with their research
Rayel, I certainly had no intention to cause offence. I think the transcribers on the whole do a marvellous job, which is clearly extremely difficult at times. However, there are times when transcriptions bear so little resemblance to the original that one has to wonder what was going through the transcribers mind! I have attached the original of my ancestor's census return for comparison purposes.
I have attached an image of my ancestor's census
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline rayel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Monday 21 November 16 16:50 GMT (UK) »
The N in Gardner does resemble a U which does make things difficult
plymouth

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Monday 21 November 16 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Agreed, but Reta Haidee Bailee Gadwa?  :)

Offline rayel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Monday 21 November 16 17:10 GMT (UK) »
The bottom name does look like Emily to me
plymouth

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 02:20 GMT (UK) »
I think it has to have been an OCR transcription otherwise "should have gone to specsavers"  ::)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline JJJ2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 11:17 GMT (UK) »

George Howson died in 1879 in Belleville Ontario, Canada he was about 80 years old and born in England.   The death certificate was transcribed as Genya Snorton.  Just to add to the mystery the certificate information was incorrect and stated he was aged 0 and born in Belleville Ontario.

JJJ2
Abraham, Busby, Down, Doidge, Kinsman, Rowe, Grimley, Kennard, Piper, Bailey, Crew, McKnight, Faulkner, Lay, Newton, Meehan, Legg, Howson, Fitzgerald,Walters, O'Neill, Ring, Pendergast/Prendergast