Author Topic: The worst Ancestry transcription ever?  (Read 88712 times)

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The worst Ancestry transcription ever?
« Reply #207 on: Thursday 20 February 20 04:12 GMT (UK) »
I don't usually like to comment on these, conscious that some of my own transcriptions may be dodgy but cannot resist with this one who apparently  was born in Sale, USA

Well.... the letters U S A do appear consecutively but ....

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: Thursday 20 February 20 13:42 GMT (UK) »
To me the word 'relict' conjures up an image of something discovered at the back of the fridge, probably already growing whiskers.  It's an unfortunate word to use for a widow, yet anyone who has had anything to do with family history knows that that is what is meant when it appears in a death notice in an old newspaper.

For the transcribers and indexers at fAnciestree, however, "relict of XY" means he was her father.  Let's keep incest in the family!
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: Sunday 24 May 20 09:49 BST (UK) »
Can't blame Ancestry for this one I found this morning  :-\

Found a death on Irish Genealogy site (Irish births, marriages, deaths) for an unknown daughter when searching for death of son I knew died before 1911 (both children died from scarletina a few days apart). So, next step was to search for birth of little Emily. She died in 1906 aged 4 so thought it should be 1901-1903. Nothing under 'Emily Ross' so tried 'Ross' then just 'Emily' and finally found he I in the index- Emily GORTFAD mother- MCUSSTER instead of Emily Ross mother McMaster!
Transcriber has put father's residence (Gortfad) as the surname and created a fairly unique surname for the mother-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1902/01926/1745868.pdf

Sadly, the parents seem to have lost many of their children at birth or shortly after.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: Monday 31 August 20 10:16 BST (UK) »
Sadly, the parents seem to have lost many of their children at birth or shortly after.

This is something we need to keep always in mind when reading statistics about "average life expectancy" in different ages.

"The average life expectancy was 45" does NOT mean that a man of 50 was "an old man", necessarily. If neonatal mortality rates are high, then this pulls down the all-population average life expectancy to a considerable degree ... but those who made it into double digits often lived to 70 or 80.

A much more useful metric than whole population average life expectancy is "average life expectancy at age 5", which strips out all the infant mortality and tells us what the rest could reasonably look forward to.
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: Monday 31 August 20 10:24 BST (UK) »
The winner here though is the wife's birthplace of Plympton transcribed as Phempler.

I think I can do FAR better than that.

I spent ages scouring Hampshire records for an ancestor whose place of birth was transcribed as "Southampton".

Eventually, in utter frustration I took a long, hard look at the original manuscript and asked myself "what else COULD it have been?". I came up with the possibility of "Som[erset] Taunton"

So I looked in Somerset ... and there she was!
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: Saturday 24 July 21 12:55 BST (UK) »
I found a woman in London whose birthplace was Dorset, Middle Gagginge.  :)

Again the enumerators probs never heard of these places if they were many miles away from where they lived and may have misheard, hence why census can give a parish that never existed. And if you look at the original, it says the same, or very near the same, but the transcription can still be funny.

One man gave "Kent, Maderlane" as his place of birth.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: Sunday 25 July 21 16:02 BST (UK) »
One man gave "Kent, Maderlane" as his place of birth.

I bet if you look at the image the original will clearly say "Maidstone".

Enumerators usually made a decent job of filling in their sheets (although some have terrible writing). One of mine, born in Brinscall, has his place of birth in one census recorded as "Brinscow", which is an excellent attempt at the local pronunciation.

There were exceptions. One of my ancestors, known as Bella Bullough, has her first name "corrected" in 1841 to "Isabella". She was actually "Arabella". In 1851 her first name is down as "Bellow", though I don't know how loud her voice was.  ;D

Our main beef is with those modern transcribers, who don't make any attempt to get things right, and apparently have no incentive to do so.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: Sunday 25 July 21 21:46 BST (UK) »
One transcription says someone was born in "Suffolk, Duxmonday". I thought that must be Saxmundham.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Cathymjp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: Monday 26 July 21 14:50 BST (UK) »
I remember spending hours looking for my Great, Great, Great Grandfather on two censuses.  He had never moved so could not understand why I could not find him.  Eventually it turned out to be a transcription error on A.......  Arblaster was transcribed as Sollander ;D
Chilton, Staffordshire and Shropshire
Greatorex
Arblaster
Noden

This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk