Author Topic: biographical abbreviations in armorial entry  (Read 766 times)

Offline Bosconermal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
biographical abbreviations in armorial entry
« on: Friday 25 March 16 04:46 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure where this question fits

A distant relative of mine emigrated from England to New Haven Connecticut at the end of the 19th century and became an accountant. At some point he ordered a coat of arms that is a variant of the pre-existing Foster coat of arms.

In Arthur Charles Fox-Davies "Armorial Families" (1929) there is a biographical entry for him but I don't understand all the abbreviations (ones I'm not sure of coloured blue):

Herbert Foster, Gentleman, D.C.L., M.Com., M.C.S.,C.P.A., h. 1871 ; m. 1896, Amy, d. of Capt. Henry Spencer, of Saybrook, Connecticut. Res. — U.S.A.

Also the beginning of the description of the coat of arms says:

FOSTER (H. Coll., 24 Jan. 1916). Or on a fesse vert...

Herbert did well for himself but the 1940 Census says he had a grade 8 education so D.C.L as "doctor of common laws" seems improbable even though Yale apparently gives that out as an honorary degree. "M.Com" looks like masters of commerce, but I wouldn't have thought so at the turn of the 19th-20th century. "M.C.S." I have no idea about. He was born in 1871 so h. 1871 means birth year, but why "h"? (C.P.A. and other things are straightforward).

Also "H. Coll." is not likely Harvard College, which was my first guess. Fox-Davies' book is full of "H. Coll." with a date yet if any of the biographical entries is for someone who went to Harvard, the university is spelled out.

Does anyone have any guidance? Much appreciated if so!
Smith (Midlothian, Scotland); Riddoch, Fraser, Tait, Stewart, McGilvery (Banffshire/Aberdeenshire, Scotland)
Foster, Stevens (Cambridgeshire, England); Adams, Knowles (Somerset, England); Smith, Manning (Southwark/Bermondsey, England)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: biographical abbreviations in armorial entry
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 March 16 08:06 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat! ;D

MCS = Master of Christian Studies?

I would have thought that "h 1871" was actually "b 1871"?

"H.Coll" could refer to "Collection"?
Or maybe Heraldic College?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 March 16 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

CPA  =  Certified Public Accountant.

Complicated business these Coats of Arms not sure how he managed to prove his right to arms,
his Father was a Corn Miller.

Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline Bosconermal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 March 16 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all.

CPA is the one I was pretty certain of.

Maybe the "h." instead of the "b." is just a matter of bad typsetting

He adapted an already existing Foster coat of arms, so I don't know whether he needed to justify his right to one despite his non-aristocratic lineage. Judging from where he lived in New Haven he seems to have been a reasonably financially successful guy and felt a need to reinforce his socio-economic station.

H. Coll as "Heraldic college" sounds like a possibility. I'll follow that up. Thank you!
Smith (Midlothian, Scotland); Riddoch, Fraser, Tait, Stewart, McGilvery (Banffshire/Aberdeenshire, Scotland)
Foster, Stevens (Cambridgeshire, England); Adams, Knowles (Somerset, England); Smith, Manning (Southwark/Bermondsey, England)