Author Topic: Captain Patrick Alexander  (Read 3813 times)

Offline Noy1818

• RootsChat Senior
  • Fairlie- The convict ship Michael Noy travelled on
    • View Profile
Re: Captain Patrick Alexander
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 27 March 16 07:30 BST (UK) »
Thought I would have a look in the British papers and found their marriage

Dundee Courier 23 September 1845

Married, at Miln Bank, on the 21 instant, by the Rev, J. L. Adamson, St David's  Church, Patrick Alexander, Master of the Barracoa, Belfast, to Mary, eldest daughter of the late Robert Easson, Esq., maufacturer, Dundee.

Barrocoa

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01hc2/

Very well found Willsy! :D

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 01 April 16 00:54 BST (UK) »
At last I have been able to access the Will of Patrick Alexander, boarding house keeper of Taradale, died 8 October 1862.  The will is the third file shown at his name.

The will is dated 3 October 1862, and he leaves all to his wife Mary ALEXANDER, who is also named as executrix.  Patrick's signature is very shaky and as his death occurred 5 days later it seems to me  it's possible that he was already ill.

The will mentions some of the property he owned in Taradale, and I suspect that the first file on his record may be the inventory but i can't get it to open.

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Noy1818

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 April 16 04:10 BST (UK) »
Patrick's signature is very shaky and as his death occurred 5 days later it seems to me  it's possible that he was already ill.

Thank you Judith! Much like yourself my computer does not seem to like the files. As you mentioned about his shaky signature (and as he died quite young) I just purchased his death certificate. You were quite right! His cause of death was 'Putrefactive Disorganization of the Lungs'. So far I have been unable to work out how you get this disease or its modern names and treatment, but here is what I have found currently- http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM183106210041904 

Below is his death certificate

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 01 April 16 05:15 BST (UK) »
It says, Inflammation of the Pulmonary Viscera and Dissorganisation of the LUNGS. The Viscera surrounds the Lungs like a sack and was so inflamed by fluids his lungs floated out of position. YUK

OR....Pleurisy is a condition of inflamed pleurae.

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 01 April 16 06:04 BST (UK) »
Sounds as though it may have been something like lung cancer, although googling "inflamation of pulmonary viscera" suggests a kind of pleurisy.   ??? Anyhow - some kind of lung problem!

The site below shows that there is a headstone for Patrick and Oliver Burnet at Taradale cmetery and there is a facility to email a request for a photo.
http://www.ozgenonline.com/~Carols_Headstones/Taradale.htm

It's a pity that there are no dates given for his dead child whose name I read as "Oliver Burnet"  Oliver is listed as the firstborn and the age of the next child (Mary Isabella Eason) is given as 13 so it seems likely that Oliver may have been born and died elsewhere (Scotland?) and would have been 14 or older if alive, especially as Patrick's time in Victoria is given as 12 years. I cannot see a birth or death for Oliver in Victoria.

The headstone may not be where Oliver is buried - more likely to be remembered on his father's headstone.

Ah - here's his baptism, and the older daughter also

Oliver Burnet ALEXANDER
Birth Date   04 Oct 1847
Christening Date   : 29 Nov 1847, at LIFF BENVIE AND INVERGOWRIE,ANGUS,SCOTLAND
Father's Name   Patrick Alexander
Mother's Name   Mary Easson

Mary Isabella ALEXANDER
Birth: 20 December 1849
Christening 1 January 1850 at LIFF BENVIE AND INVERGOWRIE,ANGUS,SCOTLAND
Father's Name   Patrick Alexander
Mother's Name   Mary Easson

From FamilySearch
https://familysearch.org/

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline Noy1818

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 01 April 16 06:49 BST (UK) »
Either way it doesn't sound like a very nice way to kick the bucket!

My Grandmothers grandma was Mary Isabella ALEXANDER. From what she 'knows' Mary didn't have any siblings (which we know to be incorrect), not any that she spoke about anyway. As Oliver died young, that explains him not being mentioned. I wonder about Margaret though, I cannot seem to find a death for her. Maybe it was just incorrect information passed down the generations. ???

I am going to email to request a photo of the headstone now. Will upload it as soon as I have it! ;D

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 01 April 16 08:18 BST (UK) »
Look forward to seeing it.

Just a thought and I haven't time to search now (someone has to cook dinner!)  but perhaps Margaret took on her mother's surname after Mary's remarriage.

Probably not though as Wivenhoe found this marriage - reply #2
HARRIS Henry   m.   ALEXANDER Margaret Jane 1883 / 2731

Judith

Offline Noy1818

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 01 April 16 22:29 BST (UK) »
I wasn't expecting the photos of the grave to be emailed so fast but here they are!  Note Oliver is said to be aged 4 years at the time of his death. Great description on it! As you can see it is a shared grave. Wonder who John and Mary Bain are ???

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 01 April 16 23:40 BST (UK) »
What wonderful photos and such a great inscription leaving no doubt that this is Captain Patrick ALEXANDER.

Patrick's wife Mary ALEXANDER (nee Easson) remarried to John BAIN in 1864 - Reply #1 from Wivenhoe, so it's Patrick's wife and her second husband who share a grave with Patrick.  Wivenhoe also gave death index entry for Mary.

Judith