Author Topic: Any Information or Photograph of WW1 Hero Major Hugh Ross Macintyre DSO MC+Bar  (Read 2828 times)

Offline Glengarry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am currently researching the life of this Officer and own his Miniature Medal Group. What I have so far is:-
Major Hugh Ross Macintyre, DSO, MC + Bar, WW1 Trio with MID, MD, PHD, Royal Army Medical Corps. His back story is fascinating born in NewChwang China 1882, (his father was a missionary) Educated in Edinburgh Scotland, sent from China at age 8 to reside with his grand parents in Edinburgh and attended George Watsons College then on to Edinburgh University winning Medical prize medals, Practical Pathology 1902, Medicine 1903-04, Disease of the Eye 1903 and Practice of Physics Mouat Scholar 1904. From the Medical register 1907 he qualified 1904 of ED Uni and is at 23 Norma Rd Waterloo, Liverpool as M.B., Bac. Surg.
On the 1911 census he is at Sydal Lodge East Harlsey Northallerton Yorkshire, employed as a Registered Medical Practitioner. I discovered an interesting piece of information from this document I noted his place of birth being NewChwang China, but also at this same address was a Katherine Leitch also born NewChwang China, after some research his sister, her husband also present is William Orr Leitch of Edinburgh.

Hugh went to war 1914 entering the Theatre of War on 22nd December 1914, ended up 23 Division 69 Field Ambulance Italy 1919. I have copies of all three of his citation for Conspicuous Gallantry, I also have copies of the war diaries of the 69th FA from 1st January 1917 up to November 1917 when the Division moved to Italy. He won his first MC at Battle of Messines June 1917, he won a Bar to his MC, having been recommended for an immediate DSO, at the Battle of Menin Road, Menin Ridge ,Hill 60, 20th September 1917. He won his DSO at the 3rd Battle of the Piave River between 27th - 29th October 1918

On his return from the War took a PHD in Oxford 1919. From the 1919 Medical Register he and his wife also a Doctor practice at Park Hill Sanatorium in Liverpool manly for wounded soldiers where he died on 23 February 1932.

I am looking for help in finding a photograph of Hugh be it military or a in civilian life.

What was his wife's maiden on the medical register she is Lilian Sarah Macintyre she is Scottish.

On the military side of things what unit was Hugh with from 1914 up until January 1917 when I know he was with 69th Field Ambulance 23rd Division I am also looking for confirmation that he moved with this unit and Division in Nov/Dec 1917 to Italy. I know he was in Italy by Oct of that year to win his DSO but did he move with them. The reason I am asking this is because I have a photograph of a RAMC Major supporting an MC riband with 20th FA on 19th June 1918 at Hesdin near Arras.
I did find on Ancestry Hugh on a family tree I sent a message through to the tree holder who on there profile was willing to help people in research etc, but after 3 months still no reply.

Hence my request Ladies and Gentlemen for assistance, a photograph would be the icing on the cake.

With kind regards

Hiram 
DUNN, (Scotland, Livingston, Newton, Newcraighall, Musselburgh, Northern Ireland Belfast Co Antrim, USA Baltimore, Fostburg, Lonaconing, Maryland)
SINCLAIR, (Scotland Temple, Newton, Musselburgh)
KERR, ( Scotland )
HILTON, ( England Brighton)
FAIRBAIRN, (Scotland Borders area)
SCOTT, SHAW, ( Scotland Lothian's)
Military History, Medals, Books and
The King's Own Scottish Borderers

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Any Information or Photograph of WW1 Hero Major Hugh Ross Macintyre DSO MC+Bar
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 March 16 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Possible marriage?

1915  Oct-Nov-Dec
Darlington
Volume:   10a  Page:   17

Hugh R Macintyre
John W Horne
Jane A Walker
Lilian S Wilkes
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
Re: Any Information or Photograph of WW1 Hero Major Hugh Ross Macintyre DSO MC+Bar
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 March 16 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I can't help with a photograph but wondered if this would be any good to you, it's regarding the auction of his medals by "Bonhams", shows them and the sale price as well as a little information regarding his Gallantry awards via the London Gazette.

Regards
Frank.

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/22781/lot/153/
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 March 16 22:56 GMT (UK) »
It looks as if there may be two children from that Macintyre/ Wilkes marriage in 1920 and 1921 in Toxteth Park. Details on FreeBMD. 

Definitely the right marriage, have sent a PM explaining.

Offline Glengarry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 March 16 16:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Frank,

Thank you for taking the time to post the link. I saw this the day after the auction. I secured his miniature over a year ago and obtained the citations through the War Diaries, which I must say are one of the best set of war diaries I have read to date.

On the Battle of Messines there is an illustrated diagram showing the evacuation of casualties from the front through the various clearing stages followed by a typed report on how it went and highlighting the snags also the number of casualties that went through each. This graphic insight helps enormously in ones understanding of what went on under such extreme circumstances and conditions during the battle not covered in your normal historical account.
Once again that's for your help
Hiram
DUNN, (Scotland, Livingston, Newton, Newcraighall, Musselburgh, Northern Ireland Belfast Co Antrim, USA Baltimore, Fostburg, Lonaconing, Maryland)
KERR, ( Scotland )

Offline Glengarry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 March 16 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan,

Thank you so much for your time in helping me in this enquiry and posting the relevant information also the PM which I have replied to in kind.

You mentioned that there might be two children?, I note one on details supplied in the PM where did you see the other ?
Kind regards
Hiram
KERR, ( Scotland )

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 March 16 17:50 BST (UK) »
On Freebmd. http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

I just put in Macintyre as the surname and Wilkes as mother's maiden name, and dates from 1915. That brought up the two children.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 March 16 18:05 BST (UK) »
Bit more on Hugh's death in case you don't have it - from England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1966   

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar?surname=Macintyre&yearOfDeath=1932&page=3#calendar

He died on the 23rd Feb 1932, address Broadgreen Sanitorium, Edge Lane Drive, Liverpool. Probate was granted to his widow and his effects were £2672 1s

You could send for his will if you wanted to.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 March 16 18:33 BST (UK) »
The second son, Hugh Wilkes Macintyre died 12th Nov 1959

Hugh W Macintyre
Birth  1921
Death:    Dec 1959 
Ware, Hertfordshire
Volume:   4b  Page:   235

Details can be found here:                                                https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar?surname=Macintyre&yearOfDeath=1960&page=2#calendar