Author Topic: baptism - St John The Baptist, Frome  (Read 638 times)

Offline Oz Kim

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
baptism - St John The Baptist, Frome
« on: Sunday 27 March 16 08:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone

I am looking for the baptism record of Joseph Hillard...census records & age at death give his date of birth at mid to late 1811...1851 census gives place of birth as Shepton Beauchamp, but I've been unable to find any record of his baptism there...I have his parents recorded as John Hillard & Martha Symonds who married in Crewkerne in Dec 1810.

Joseph married in Crewkerne in 1834 but all 8 of his children were born in Shepton Beauchamp & Joseph died there in 1853.

I know this is a long shot but found a baptism for a Joseph "Allard" on freereg 17/8/1811 in St John the Baptist Frome father Joseph, Mother Martha & can't help but wonder if this could be him.
If anyone out there has access to the actual parish record could they please check the spelling in case this has been an error in transcribing

I would be most appreciative

Kim

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: baptism - St John The Baptist, Frome
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 March 16 08:28 BST (UK) »
Joseph & Martha Allard are having other children baptised at Frome around the same time.  There is also a Joseph Allard bn c1811 Frome appearing on census (wife Fanny).

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shirl100

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: baptism - St John The Baptist, Frome
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 March 16 19:30 BST (UK) »
Freereg shows baptisms in Shepton Beauchamp from 1814 for children of a John Hillard (weaver) and Martha, so if these are the right parents Joseph would have been living there by 1814. So he was either baptised elsewhere ( and there could be at least one more child given that parents married in 1810) or it's possible that it wasn't recorded. Have you checked the actual parish registers for Shepton and maybe Crewkerne just in case any baptisms have been missed in the transcriptions?

Shirl
North,Noble,Harrison,Seller - North Riding Yorks parishes
Brown,Brooks,Watson - Belper/Duffield Derbys
Hole - Ashover Derbys
Webb, Flavell, Mason - Staffs (mainly Sedgley)
Bevan,Beamond - Chirbury Shropshire
Longridge - Northumberland/Durham
Freeman - Hampshire, Oxfordshire,Sussex
Smith - Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Whitehead - Yorkshire
Morris - St Pancras Yorkshire etc