Author Topic: Thomas Procter, Trafalgar Hotel, Scarborough  (Read 5980 times)

Offline Tepe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Procter, Trafalgar Hotel, Scarborough
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 09:56 BST (UK) »
Love the story of the thefts!  What a family history you uncover for us.  I have two photos of Willliam Mollon, and knew he was on the Ajax. I also served on that ship so maybe that is why that snippet of history was related to me. Strange how little of anything was told to us those days, though.   I am making - with the help of you and my wife - a book with all this that you have found and the old photos that have been too long in a tin. Ever grateful.

I joined the archive site you suggested for the free month's trial but am getting nowhere yet. I set myself the task of finding Ernest Procter, the person named as imbecile, and will try again today. TP

Offline Tepe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 10:13 BST (UK) »
A bit of confusion with my memory. The boy who was  on the Ajax was on my mother's side and lived up North, as we used to say. NOw I think of it, I believe he survived  but later died with TB. William Mollan must have also been at sea and suffered the death you find. I have a photo of him in uniform. TP

Offline Tepe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 10:15 BST (UK) »
re Florence. We didn't know her or her family. TP

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 10:19 BST (UK) »
I'm glad we are making sense of photos and stories!

If you haven't already discovered, you can use wildcards to help the search.  On Ancestry, you can use ? to replace a single letter, and * to replace more than one letter.  So for example, when searching for Procter, I actually search Proct?r because sometimes the surname was spelled ProctEr and sometimes ProctOr.  By using the wildcard, both variants would come up in the search.

Equally, if I was searching for Isabella, I would probably do Isa*, because that would pick up Isabel, Isabelle, Isabella etc.

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 10:26 BST (UK) »
I think that William Mollon was aboard a fishing vessel, the "Taranaki" when it sank.  I'll see if I can find some more details about it.

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 10:34 BST (UK) »
Ok, according to newspaper reports, the Taranaki was fishing about 40 to 45 miles north east by north of Scarborough when then realised that something else was in the nets as well as fish.  It was discovered to be a mine, and the cry went up "all out; all aft".  William Mollon, a deck hand, seemed a little dazed and did not move with the rest of the men.  The fore of the ship was blown away with the other half of the ship staying afloat long enough for a boat to be launched and all crew, with the exception of Mollon, were able to get into the boat.  The skipper of the Strathspey heard the explosion and came to the rescue of the men and brought them into SCarborough.  Apparently this was the third Scarborough boat lost since the end of the war, with the total loss of 18 men.

Offline Tepe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 11:28 BST (UK) »
Amazing! Thankyou! ;D

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 16:50 BST (UK) »
I realise that I am skipping about a bit here, going between your families - when I hit a brick wall with one family I go back to the other!

Going back to the Procters - Thomas Procter started off in Leeds before going to Scarborough, but it looks like for a brief period they returned to Leeds where your dad William Procter was born.  He was baptised on 8th April 1896 at Christ Church, Leeds.  The address given by your grandfather Thomas was Red House, Meadow Lane.  I think this is a photo of that pub of which Thomas was the publican http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIdentifier=200456_46174258

Offline Tepe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 17:05 BST (UK) »
I have a picture of my grandad, Thomas, outside his Scarborough pub, The Queen. This is a lovely addition. I have tried to find the 'imbecile', Ernest on Ancestry, but what ever i search, even when I know the dates and names, it comes back with no results.  I am fascinated by your skill and acknowledge that I will never get there alone! I spent my life as an orchestral trumpet player. Reading the dots is child's play compared to this stuff! Thanks again. Tp ::)