Author Topic: Free Online Genealogy Course with FutureLearn (Week 3)  (Read 12312 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Free Online Genealogy Course with FutureLearn (Week 3)
« Reply #18 on: Monday 28 March 16 19:16 BST (UK) »

Oh dear... I haven't finished Week 2 yet!!

Romilly.

Nor me! Been more interested in trying out Family Historian 6 having finally decided to buy it - should have waited until the course finished  ::)
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 28 March 16 20:48 BST (UK) »
Have to say, I've been disappointed with this course so far.

I don't watch the videos - being on a PAYG WiFi connection, with a limit on downloads.
But the transcriptions are not coming across as being very good?!

I'll try to stick it out, but not sure it will hold my attention? ::)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 28 March 16 21:13 BST (UK) »
To be fair, KG, what did you expect?

You clearly have more experience with records than most

You've said you prefer an unstructured way of working than using more systematic methods.

What's left? Record storage?
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 28 March 16 21:24 BST (UK) »
As Greensleeves said earlier:

you get 'added value'  from these courses by interacting with other students, either by helping them with their research, them helping you, or discussing various issues.    Without that, you might just as well sit and read a book.

I think if you just read the course notes you won't get much out of the course, the beauty of these courses, is that it gives you a chance to discover new resources that others use and to suggest things to them. Just as we are willing to help each other here, we can do the same on the course. I mentioned the fact that not all births were registered before 1874, even though the registration act came into force in 1837. Several people came back and thanked me, saying they hadn't realised that.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 28 March 16 21:34 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure what I expected, really? Just "something more"? :-\

To be fair, this is my personal busy period, and I haven't had much time to read posts and respond this week (although I did a couple of posts tonight).
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 28 March 16 21:47 BST (UK) »
To be fair to KG, they did advertise the course as being suitable for beginners, improvers and those of a more advanced level, but so far it really has only come across as for beginners.  I debated bothering to sign up for some time, as I suspect it would really only be most beneficial for beginners, but thought as it was free I'd give it a try, whether I shall last the distance though remains to be seen. :-\

I like to think I have a methodical way of researching, but haven't found anything new to me so far.  As for FAN and Mind Maps, well as another RootsChatter has said, lateral thinking really covers all of these anyway and personally it is second nature, but that may be more to do with my educational and professional background.  I do though appreciate that for others it may perhaps not be so.

I find reading posts on RC about areas I'm not so familiar with as being of more benefit. ;D
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 28 March 16 21:53 BST (UK) »
I would say, that the course is aimed more at improvers than beginners, as I wonder if anyone with no knowledge of how to start would be able to follow it.

I think that everyone just needs to take what they need from it, and if they find it becomes a chore rather than a pleasure, just stop doing it. It stays open indefinitely and as long as you don't actually click on "leave the course" you can return at any time.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 28 March 16 22:04 BST (UK) »
I think you're correct Groom, it probably is for Improvers.  That said, perhaps they should have advertised it to that effect. :-\  Having said that, though, the term Improvers probably means different things to different people, so even then I suspect there would be disappointment.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline panic

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 09:15 BST (UK) »
I would say, that the course is aimed more at improvers than beginners, as I wonder if anyone with no knowledge of how to start would be able to follow it.

I think that everyone just needs to take what they need from it, and if they find it becomes a chore rather than a pleasure, just stop doing it. It stays open indefinitely and as long as you don't actually click on "leave the course" you can return at any time.

Those without any knowledge would hopefully have used the initial references. Unfortunately whatever level they pitched it at would have disappointed some. They aren't going to go too advance or be all encompassing, as surely that would detract from the MSc offering. A lot of these courses have a narrow scope, and they are really designed as peer-learning exercises. Hence the comments on "your experiences" and such to ensure students share comments and opinions.

I keep thinking, next week will be better, but forget that most weeks will just scratch the surface, giving an outline for students to comment and flesh out.
Shropshire: Bailey, Cadman, Chilton, Garbett, Pritchards
Yorkshire: Chilton, Cogan, Cooper, Farrar, Hammond, Nickless/Nicholls, Silkstone
Ireland: Brannan, Cogan, O'Connor