Author Topic: Descendants of the Late JANE CASSON HOOD of Selby / Brayton - Please contact me?  (Read 24211 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Descendants of the Late JANE CASSON HOOD of Selby / Brayton - Please contact me?
« Reply #117 on: Tuesday 02 February 21 21:26 GMT (UK) »

I can't wait for the 1892 Colin SIMS & Fanny Adolphine Lister COOKE 1892 Wedding Register entry to arrive to compare signatures, fairly certain that will be Alfred William Hood of Selby.

Mark

Hello

Despite what I said on this thread, there was a very good Alfred William Hood (witness) signature match on the marriage (in the quote) to the Alfred William Hood and Edith Scaum, 1886 marriage at Brayton, Selby, Yorkshire.

Good to hear from you dobfarm. I can only think George Hood's Father was caught up with Nonconformism, or George was illegitimate to someome who maintained him, so no claim on Church Dole.

My George Hood (married Selby, Yorkshire 1815) certainly left problems, using document research a link to 4 different Hoods can be suggested.
 ----------
One of the females in my direct line, married a George Taylor in 1910 and I have her Birth Certificate, their Marriage Certificate and his date of Birth.

Using 2 subscription sites & FS, tried various searches and recently George Taylor's lineage.

Ordered and awaiting 2 Birth and 2 Marriage Certificate copies to confirm Census trail and see who was present (signed) at the marriages.

Surnames (Present / witness) at the earliest 1833 John Taylor & Harriet Huddleston, marriage at Nafferton, Yorkshire:- George DANBY and Samuel HARRISON. At Harriet Huddleston's Father's marriage was a George DUNN.

John Taylor (born Octon, 1803) and Harriet's, Son, George Taylor (born 1838, Weaverthorpe, Yorks) was then a Visitor in Robert ANDERSON's household and his wife was nee Jane DANBY, born Gransmoor.

At this householder's 1848 Marriage was a Mary Thomasin LEADLEY and William Lamplugh.
[In 1808 at Kilham, Jane Lamplugh married Richard DANBY of Foston, Yorkshire].

In 1850 Mary Thomasin LEADLEY married Henry Walker, at Scarborough and was the Daughter of Lieut. Robert LEADLEY, Royal Navy.

Previously, Robert Leadley of Kilham, Gentleman, had married Mary Higg, Widow, at Scarborough 1823 and Mary Higg was transcribed as the Daughter of Robert & Thomasin Southerland.

Looking forward to receiving 2 marriage TAYLOR print copies 1861 and 1883.

In the past years, all Register images were saved on pc, as name searchable.

Some very familiar surnames above (I'd now forgotten during my HOOD searches), when pc searched.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Descendants of the Late JANE CASSON HOOD of Selby / Brayton - Please contact me?
« Reply #118 on: Saturday 15 July 23 16:44 BST (UK) »
1887 - Banns - Hensall cum Heck and Castleford (no church given)
Charles Hood, widower of Castleford and Hannah Richardson, spinster of Heck read 11, 18, 25 September

Selby - 6 December 1855
George Hood, 32, bachelor, farmer.  Father:  George, Brewer
Ann Marrison, 28, spinster.  Father William, stone mason.

Reuben Knott and Ann Hood.

1871 Charles Hood, aged 12 is living with Reuben Knott and Ann

The 1868 Hull Daily News
Reuben Knott, Tea Dealer, married Mrs Ann Hood [nee Marrison of Blyth, Notts], at the Selby Wesleyan Methodist Chapel.
 ---------
1846 Death Duty Register entries (with added notes 1846 to 1894) received large colour image (2 pages) for George Hood of Selby, died 1845, (TNA, IR 26/1740)

Interesting, but all named are already known.

Road names of Property situations.

Children dec'd without issue and those beneficiaries in 1845, with notes up to Jane C. Hood, d. 1894, are named.

A few of the added notes say:-
Widow, no Dower, left household furniture for one house and living in the house at Gowthorpe value £800.

Ex'r of Wm, Mrs Jane Hood (dead)
Byefield Lodge, Selby (widow)
John Casson (Dead)
Tea Dealer, York.
Jane Casson Hood d.1894 (presumed same as said Jane Hood).
Ex'r Edwin C. Hood of Wellington Tce, Belper (Grocer).

Marion Scaum and George Scaum of the Railway Hotel, Knottingley. Marion Scaum Extrix of her mother J. C. Hood d.1894.

The year, the seller and sale amounts for properties.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Monday 22 April 24 15:53 BST (UK) »
Selby Times, 26th April 1895

Marriage of Mr T. S. Ullathorne of Selby.- St Botolph's Church, Knottingley,
... the scene of a very pretty wedding, the marriage of Mr. Councillor Ullathorne, of Selby, with Miss Mary Beatrice Hood, youngest daughter of the late Mr. Wm. Hood, of Selby, being solemnised there in the presence of a numerous company of the friends of both contracting parties. The Bridegroom was attended by Mr A. Ainley, of Selby, as best man. The Bride was given away by her brother, Mr Edwin C. Hood, of Belper. ... She was attended by Miss Alice Hardbottle, of Selby, ... and whose bouquet of choice flowers and gold cresent brooch were the gift of the bridegroom. ... Mr & Mrs Scaum, of the Railway Hotel, ...

We know Edwin Casson Hood is a Son of William Hood of Selby, Son of George Hood and Sarah Russell of Selby his Wife (my 4x Gt Grandparents).

We know about Marion Scaum who was also mentioned (nee Marion Hood) daughter of William and Jane Casson Hood (nee Casson) and we have discussed these before.
 ----------
Not much is known of Mr Albert Ainley or Miss Alice Hardbottle and if they might relate to the Simpson Ullathorne family, or distant relatives?

Albert Ainley signature attached.

Mark

Added: Information about a possible Alice Hardbottle in next reply.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Monday 22 April 24 16:40 BST (UK) »
Selby Times, 11th December 1903

An Alice Hardbottle, aged 28, has died at West Field.

The home of the late Jane Casson Hood was called West Field [near Brayton].

There is a 1903 Registration in the Death Duty Index, TNA, Kew. Cat Ref IR 27/601

Hardbottle Alice, Selby, Date of Death 7 Dec 03, Executor or Administrator A. Hardbottle, Registry Wakefield,  so I'll see if there is a Will and order it.

Mark

Added:
Possible Baptism for Alice.
Brayton Baptism Register 1876
Born 1875
Alice Hardbottle,
Parents: James & Alice Hardbottle.
Abode: Burton Hall.
Occupation, Farmer.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re the likely Albert Ainley of Selby at the 1895 Selby, Yorkshire, Ullathorne = Hood, marriage.

1891 Census, Brayton Road, Selby
Albert Ainley, Head, S, 29, Railway Bookstall Manager, born Yorkshire, Thorne.
Sarah Ainley, Mother, Wid, 61, born Cambridgeshire, Thorney.

1871 Census, Market Place, Thorne.
Samuel Ainley, Head, 46, Plumber & Glazier, born Yorks, Thorne.
Sarah Ainley, Wife, 41 born Thorney, Cambs. 
Arthur Joe Ainley 12, born Thorne, Yorks.
[born 1859 Mother M.S. Jones]
Albert Ainley 7, born Yorks, Thorne.
[born 1864 Mother M.S. Jones]

1856 Thorne 18th May Marriage
Samuel Clough Ainley, 30, Bach., Plumber & Glazier, Thorne, Father Samuel Ainley, Innkeeper.
Sarah Jones, 21, Spinster, ...
In the presence of Thomas Bailey ; [first forename? Mattes / Attes / Wattes?] Parkin Ainley.

Bapt Thorne, Yorks, 28 Feb 1825
Samuel Clough Ainley, S of Sam'l &.Eliz Ainley, Thorne, Publican.

Two 1818 Rotherham Marriages but the likely one is:-
"Samuel Ainley of Thorne"
Elizabeth Badger, Spinster
Present (wits) Mary Smith ; Joseph Kitchinman.

1861 Census Thorne [Samuel Ainley senior]
Samuel Ainley, Head, Wid'r, 68, Landed proprietor, born Yorks, Thorne.
Alethea Ainley, Daur, 26, born Yorks Thorne.
Amelia A Gutteridge, Grand daur, 18, born Yorks, Thorne.

Thorne, Yorks, Births & Baptisms 1792
Samuel Ainley (seniority 5) S of Samuel Ainley, Labourer, by Mary Clough, June 4th, June 19th.

1787, 23rd August, Snaith St Laurence by Banns.
Samuel Anley, Bachelor, of this Parish, Farmer and
Mary Clough of Pollington, Spinster.
Tho Moody ; Nathan Newby.

A related marriage looks to be ...
1842 Parish of Thorne
John Gutteridge, full, Wid'r, Shipbuilder, Hook in the Parish of Snaith, Father, Sam'l Gutteridge, Shipbuilder.
Ann Parkin Ainley, Minor, Spinster, Thorne, Father, Samuel Ainley, Innkeeper.
Present: Samuel Ainley ; Mary Badger

Possibly a link to Ainley (Licence)?
John Pearson 40 of Doncaster &
Ann Anley 40 of Thorne.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
In view of the Albert Ainley research (above), it seems there is something incorrect about the strikeout and change in the 1851 Thorne, Yorkshire, Census for Samuel Ainley, 26, Plumber, born W.R. Yorks, Thorne.

Suggesting Samuel Ainley was the son of Elizabeth Vause?

Mark