Author Topic: Descendants of the Late JANE CASSON HOOD of Selby / Brayton - Please contact me?  (Read 24057 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Some bits of info

One ? -Thomas Gouldbrough  8th April 1840 burial Selby/Brayton (No age given)

A mention in Google Books -Law journal 1891 Thomas Gouldsbrough and a Ann sailmakers Selby -Solicitors Parker and Parker.
----------------------------------------------------
Dades entry Selby baptism 1802 may give some good FH history of  Mrs Mary Gouldsbrough nee ? (Edited Russell ???- Re Goughy post below)

Fam/Search + christening: Thomas  (Son)

17 March 1802

SELBY, YORK, ENGLAND

father:
Thomas Gouldsbrough
------------------------------------------------------------

Funny enough Thomas Gouldsbrough sail maker Ousegate Selby listed under R.Gibson 1800 Selby Trades - Mountain book 1800

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Morning All

Had a quick look at Thomas Gouldsbrough.  He married Elizabeth Buttle 1 January 1784 in Snaith. Elizabeth dies 1803.  He remarries 11 Feb 1805 in Sculcoates

Thomas Gouldsbrough widower of the Parish of Selby in the diocese of York and Mary RUSSELL widow and of this Parish. Married by License

Thomas buried Selby 8 Apr 1840.  Mary buried Selby 1 Oct 1848

EDIT

From Dade records

Thomas was son of John Goldsbrough of Knottlingley sailcloth maker by Jane his wife.  Elizabeth dau of George Buttle of Snaith Plumber & Glazier by Ann his wife dau of Tarbotton of Selby Innkeeper

Will of Thomas Gouldsbrough details at Borthwick

Court   York Prerogative & Exchequer Courts
Court detail   Prerogative Court of York
Document type   Will
Document reference   vol.202, f.254
Index reference   1840031842080110.tif/12

This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Morning All

Had a quick look at Thomas Gouldsbrough.  He married Elizabeth Buttle 1 January 1784 in Snaith. Elizabeth dies 1803.  He remarries 11 Feb 1805 in Sculcoates

Thomas Gouldsbrough widower of the Parish of Selby in the diocese of York and Mary RUSSELL widow and of this Parish. Married by License

Thomas buried Selby 8 Apr 1840.  Mary buried Selby 1 Oct 1848

bingo- the connection. Great find Goughy
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Dades entry Selby baptism 1802 may give some good FH history of  Mrs Mary Gouldsbrough nee ? (Edited Russell ???- Re Goughy post below)

Mary Russell was a WIDOW

Mark - is this possibly Sarah Hood's  (nee Russell) mother re-marrying?????  I have not really looked at Sarah's family, so don't know when her parents died etc. 

Will of John Goldsbrough Sailmaker Knottingley 1809

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7218970

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Thanks for your posts Goughy and dobfarm

I'll apply for the Thomas Gouldsbrough Will, but I fear from your replies re Russell, that it will unlikely give any descent to George Hood of Selby, Senior (married Sarah Russel 1815)  >:(

George Hood [Jun'r] was also a Manor of Selby Court Juror, by the 1850s, interesting  ;D
The phrase is sometimes ... 'owing suit to the Manor', or, suit to the Lord's Court

Edited earlier post and a link re Copyhold - small landholding and seems to be what is happening.

Kind regards, Mark

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Agree, it possibly won't help with George Snr ancestry, however, it may start a  trail of "his wealth" coming via Sarah.  You never know....  that's why I asked if you had found deaths of Sarah's  parent's I took a leap of hope in that the Mary Russell widow was actually Sarah's mother.  This would make sense in transferring the property to the three Hood brothers (her grandsons). 

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Hi Goughy and dobfarm

I'm very thankful to you both, for your updates re Gouldsbrough link to Russel.

Lets hope the Gouldbrough's Will writer was a Mr Jobsworth and paid by the word saying how Sarah Russel married George Hood the son of ................

In my first post on this thread, is one of many 1894 - 1895 letters and two Wills of when William Hood's adult children were seeking admission to the Manor of Selby, in respect of the same Byfield property at Selby.

In 1842 only the Court Roll and the Verdict survives, re the Hoods being Admitted.

I'll order Gouldsbrough's Will bundle!

Kind regards, Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Mary Russell was a WIDOW

Mark - is this possibly Sarah Hood's  (nee Russell) mother re-marrying?????  I have not really looked at Sarah's family, so don't know when her parents died etc. 

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7218970

There is a one off only year entry of a George Hood on the  Knottingley land tax 1811- 1812  ???

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Sarah Russel

birth 30 September 1793

Selby, York's, England

baptism 9 October 1793

father William Russel & mother Mary

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

William Russel birth 1763 spouce Mary Burton birth 1772

marriage 17 May 1792

Selby, York, England (Dades ?)

------------------

Need William's burial year and Will if he left one to be before 1805 to make Widow Mrs Mary Russell wife of Thomas Gouldbrough death 1840 to be Mary Burton.

Mary Gouldbrough death age 1848 would be helpful