Author Topic: Maentwrog Burials/ St Twrogs Church GRIFFITH/S  (Read 879 times)

Offline Paula Griffiths

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Maentwrog Burials/ St Twrogs Church GRIFFITH/S
« on: Tuesday 29 March 16 08:33 BST (UK) »
Hoping someone can assist.  I  require assistance with locating a 'unknown' child of Richard and Mary Griffiths.  Richard died 1906 and Mary 1937 and are buried together in the churchyard.

Their son was possibly born/died between 1876 and 1901 as he did not appear in any census.

One possibility I have is a child named Robert John Griffith 1891-1898, there are no family members listed for his burial and I was hoping is a headstone existed, it could rule him in/out.

Does anyone know if a list of all headstone transcriptions exist?

Many thanks in advance

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Maentwrog Burials/ St Twrogs Church GRIFFITH/S
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 11:46 BST (UK) »
Hi
You're very sparse with your info. Your posting suggests you have Census info + possibly ages at death of Richard and Mary.
There are a couple of this name at Pantglas, Maentwrog, plus 2 sons, John and Richard, and 2 daughters. Is this the family your referring to? In Cambrian News, 12 July 1901:

MAENTWROG.
Success  -  Mr Wm Griffith, son of Mr Richard Griffith, Pantglas, is placed high in the list of succesful candidates in the Glamorganshire C.M. annual examination.

Gwynedd Family History Society have published a booklet of the Memorial Inscriptions, ref.:  M222.

Emyr

Offline Paula Griffiths

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Maentwrog Burials/ St Twrogs Church GRIFFITH/S
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 20:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Emyr,

Apologies for the lack of information but thankyou for taking the time to reply.  All I have is a photograph and in 1911 census the number of children with one deceased, being the 'unknown' child.  Going by the photograph we are able to guestimate the years of birth and since he wasnt in the following census with the family guestimate his death prior to 1901.

Having no name does make it so much more difficult, I also searched the burial records for the period and the one I mentioned (Robert John Griffith 1891-1898) is the main contender but does not confirm 100% hense the reason for my request if anyone had transcripts of headstones which may list parents etc.

I too have searched the newspapers end to end without success, so herein lies my final search, a headstone for my missing 'unknown' child.

Again, many thanks for taking the time to search and reply.

Warmest regards.