Author Topic: Edward Wotton  (Read 5101 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Wotton
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 31 March 16 02:06 BST (UK) »

And it says Melbourne so could be Richmond, or could be Sandridge (the latter being closer to where her ship would have arrived).

I'm assuming that the immigration record doesn't specifically say she is arriving to work for her aunt? So even if it states she was arriving to work for Mrs WOTTON of Richmond, this could have been as a housekeeper/maid in a private dwelling...

This is from Jessies Mum's other thread on the family

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=611773.18

Hi all,
I know all previous messages around this are from some time back, but I have just discovered Eliza's immigration record finally.
She was off to Richmond, Melbourne - exactly where the Great Britain Hotel was (and still is) located.
I feel like I've struck gold!
Just wanted to share this with you all - it certainly looks like Wotton is the name she is employed by!

I have not seen or located the immigration record.
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 31 March 16 02:07 BST (UK) »
You have Eliza WHITE as marrying at age 18.  From her marriage cert,
 :) what was her usual place of residence,
 :) who gave consent for her to marry, and what was their relationship to her
 :) who were the witnesses
 :) Is there any mention of WOTTON or variations on that document?

VIC BDM  https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/indexsearch.doj
1874 Matthew WILLIAMS and Eliza WHITE #529
1869 Fanny WOOTTON death, with parents as Edward Bushe WOOTTON and Jane CROCKFORD #5557 and at Yarra, in 1868, birth #19715.

May I mention that there's an Eliza WHITE who arrived in Melbourne per Caduceus in 1870. She was aged 16, and a Teacher.  She seems to have travelled with 18 year old Elizabeth A WHITE, also a Teacher. 

It is on Elizabeth's record of passage that it states she was a domestic servant going to work for Mrs Wotton in Richmond.

Ah I see. So the assumption is that this is the same person who is mentioned in her obit as her aunt. Does it specifically mention Richmond? I am a little confused given the Sandridge link.

The surname WHITE was and still is quite a popular surname. 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 31 March 16 02:24 BST (UK) »
I see that Cando asked about that marriage back several years ago 

Was Elizabeth 21 when she married, if not who gave consent?

What was her usual address...and occupation?

Where was she married?  Perhaps the parish record of the marriage may be more legible.

Cando

But I have not found the snippets..... 

Will try and scan certificate today to add snippets on here.  White was Elizabeth's maiden name, she married and became Williams.  On the marriage certificate it states she was 20 years of age and a servant, but on her death certificate it states she was married at age 18.  Both certificates state she was born in County Clare, Ireland - it is the obituary that gives the Scarriff (only found that on line yesterday).  On the marriage certificate it states her present and usual residence were both Melbourne.  Her father Francis White, on her marriage certificate, has an occupation of Shoemaker.  Nothing about parents on the death certificate.

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 31 March 16 06:05 BST (UK) »
Deleted because incorrect observation ;D

Sue

Offline mollipops1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 01 April 16 02:10 BST (UK) »
George Frederick WOOTTON and his wife Margaret JOHNSTONE had several children born in Richmond 1866-78...still looking....

Thought I'd look at this couple again. If you definitely have "Mrs Wotton of Richmond" she seems a likely candidate. They lived in Richmond and had 9 children - so she would probably have needed help round the house!!!

She died in 1921, late of 8 Wangaratta St Richmond (from Trove, 21 Jan 1921), aged 76, daughter of Robert JOHNSTON[E] and Ann MARSHALL (reg 3335).

My point is the aunt she stayed with briefly in the Melbourne hotel is not necessarily who she was going to work for in Richmond...

It is also worth noting that Jane, wife of Edward WOOTTON of Sandridge, nee CROCKFORD, was born in Bucks, not Ireland.

Offline mollipops1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 01 April 16 02:20 BST (UK) »
Do you have Elizabeth WILLIAMS nee WHITE's SA death certificate?

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 01 April 16 02:42 BST (UK) »
Hi mollipops 1

This quote from Jessies Mum's other thread about Elizabeth. Reply #25 where she is quite specific about the destination of Elizabeth.
As I said, I have not been able to locate the immigration notice myself ::)

Hi all,
I know all previous messages around this are from some time back, but I have just discovered Eliza's immigration record finally.
She was off to Richmond, Melbourne - exactly where the Great Britain Hotel was (and still is) located.
I feel like I've struck gold!
Just wanted to share this with you all - it certainly looks like Wotton is the name she is employed by!

Do you have Elizabeth WILLIAMS nee WHITE's SA death certificate?

Did you see a comment from Cando regarding the certificate for Elizabeth's death?

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=611773.18
Reply #16

I'm sure Jessies Mum will be online again soon to comment further ;D

Sue

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 01 April 16 03:32 BST (UK) »
In haste....I have a female relative named Michael whose parents were Irish and the surname appears to be KAINE.  Just my two bob's worth.  I'll read all the new posts when I get a moment.

I did spend a bit of time a couple of days ago and Edward WOTTON appeared to be from Kent.

My point is the aunt she stayed with briefly in the Melbourne hotel is not necessarily who she was going to work for in Richmond...
mollipops

Eliza WHITE was an Assisted Immigrant
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01hdg/

LADY JOCELYN Ship   Mr VERDON’s   Selection
Agreement# 153
Name of Immigrant  WHITE Eliza 
Age 19 years 
Calling  General Servant 
Name of Employer   Mrs WARTTON
Residential   ?  Richmond
Date of Agreement  7 Feb 1870
Wage  £25.0.0.
Period ? 1 month

Cheers
Cando

Edit to add transcribed record and snip

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 01 April 16 03:47 BST (UK) »

It is also worth noting that Jane, wife of Edward WOOTTON of Sandridge, nee CROCKFORD, was born in Bucks, not Ireland.

Yes, I am quite sure Edward Bushell WOOTON (of Sandridge)is not the husband this Mrs WOOTON.
Sue