Author Topic: Home District Marriage Registers - anybody have copies and able to do a look up?  (Read 2000 times)

Offline LUV

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Hi all
As my previous post indicates and have been searching Thomas Feeney and his family in and around the Pickering area 1850s onwards.

With some help I think I am slowly narrowing down the search.  :-\

I have a Thomas Feeney whose spouse "Beazy" (perhaps short for Bridget), I believe she dies between 1851 and 1861. (They is a Thomas & Bridget Feeney 1851 Whitby)

I have an Anne Burke whose spouse Patrick Burke I believe he dies between 1851 &1861.
(there is a Patrick and Ann Burke on the 1851 together Pickering)

I believe that a widower Thomas Feeney and a widow Anne Burke (perhaps maiden name Rowen) marry before the 1861 census and combine their two young families. 

I would really like to see if I can find a Marriage for Thomas and Anne or the deaths of their respective spouses.

Anybody have anything on them?

THe ages of the children from each marriage would suggest after 1855 range ...
WOODAGE (East London);
SPEAR (Laneast, Cornwall);
FRENCH (Rye/Hastings, Sussex);
PERCIVAL (Downe, Kent);
JARVIS (Houghton, Norfolk);
KING (Wortham,Suffolk- Hove, Sussex);
FLEMING(Logierait & Dowally, Perthshire);
LOVE (Ireland Co.?)

Online eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Home District Marriage Registers - anybody have copies and able to do a look up?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 April 16 14:38 BST (UK) »
The issue is that they were Catholics, and there are few Catholic marriages in the Home District Registers as Anglican and Catholic ministers were not required to be return their registers to the Clerk of Peace in York.  Sometimes, they married in a church of convenience or by a wandering minister, but Catholics were less likely to do so.

Also, civil registrations did not begin in Ontario until 1869, so thee won't be death registrations for either of the spouses -- the best you can hope for is a cemetery tombstone, but at this point, they are really old, and may not have survived.

Offline LUV

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Home District Marriage Registers - anybody have copies and able to do a look up?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 April 16 14:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks Eileen  :-\
WOODAGE (East London);
PERCIVAL (Downe, Kent);
LOVE (Ireland Co.?)

Online eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 April 16 14:52 BST (UK) »
I did find a marriage for one of the children, Sarah, who gave Ann's maiden name as Rouen.  I also found a couple of other marriages for the children -- none of them married in the Catholic Church.

Offline LUV

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 April 16 15:50 BST (UK) »
Had that one, believe the mother was it was Ann Ryan - married first to Patrick Burk and then to Thomas Feeney.  The Ryans, Burks and Feeneys were all in the Pickering/Whitby area circa 1850 ... but yes, I think perhaps the Anglican Diocese of Toronto is where I will need to look for marriage/baptism/death.  I think the Church in Oshawa was the big Church for this community during that time
WOODAGE (East London);
PERCIVAL (Downe, Kent);
LOVE (Ireland Co.?)

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 April 16 17:33 BST (UK) »
Have you checked FamilySearch.  They have unindexed Roman Catholic parish registers for Ontario.  Not all time periods are covered

Online eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 April 16 18:43 BST (UK) »
Not indexed, but easily browseable.  Found the baptism for Catherine Feeney, born 19 August 1857, baptized 19 January 1858, daughter of Thomas Feeney and Ann Rowan. Sponsors were Thomas Burk and Ellen Gordon.  So her maiden name was Rowan, as it is written quite clearly.  Baptism in the records of St. Gregory's in Oshawa, but I didn't find a marriage.

Offline LUV

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 April 16 19:14 BST (UK) »
THANKs LOADS Eileen and cosmic ;D
Great find, I always forget to search into the records of Familysearch versus just typing names!

Guess I will now search that St. Gregorys for more Feeney and Burks!!!
I know Catherine was the oldest of their children then came Sarah abt 1860, Winnifred abt 1861, Bridget, John abt 1865 and Wm James around 1867.

Prior I think Thomas and 1st wife Beazy had a son Patrick and daughter Mary Ann
Prior I think Ann and 1st husband Patrick Burk had son Patrick and daughters  Hannah and Mary

It was a real yours, mine and ours as evidenced on the 1861 and 1871 censuses!
Seems Thomas and Ann died before 1881 census though.

I had tracked their kids and so great that it is confirmed then as Rowan.  Seen both Rouen and Ryan for her so was not sure.  Took Ryan as I know that family was in the area
WOODAGE (East London);
PERCIVAL (Downe, Kent);
LOVE (Ireland Co.?)

Offline bbkettt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 November 20 01:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello LUV,
I realize I'm responding to a very old thread, but I stumbled across it via Google while also trying to research Thomas Feeney's family, and thought I should respond. I'm a descendant of Thomas – his son Patrick is my 2nd-great-grandfather.

I've been puzzling over the same things as you were - especially his mother. I've tracked down most of the info you mentioned, only recently noticing the appearance of Ann's surname as Rowan / Rouen.

I wanted to bring a couple of things to your attention and see what you think.

1) You probably found the 1874 marriage record for Patrick Feeney and Hannah Stoner, as it's the only document that names "Beazy Feeney" as his mother. But confusingly, there seems to be a second marriage record for him from one year later, with conflicting info. It's in the collection "Ontario, Canada, Roman Catholic Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1760-1923" on Ancestry. It has his mother's name as Elisabeth Ward [?] and the bride's name as Mary Ann Stoner (I believe this had to be an error, as Hannah Stoner's mother was Mary Ann). It includes Hannah's parents Peter Stoner and Mary Ann Adams as well. The date is almost one year later, and there are different witnesses and a different priest. It's easy to imagine that this is a different Patrick Feeney, but it seems impossible with so many other similarities (same father, resides in Pickering, the ages are almost the same and the bride's parents' names are the same). Could it have been a re-do of a postponed or cancelled wedding?

2) As you point out, the 1851 census has Catherine as the first daughter born, indicating her then-age as 1 year old. But then in 1861 her age is indicated as only 4. As Eileen mentioned, there is the baptismal record that shows her birth as 19/08/1857, which corresponds more with the 1861 census age. For this reason, I believe that the Catherine in 1851 is a different person – maybe a child who died young - or it's a completely unrelated family.

3)Lastly, I wanted to point out that in the 1891 and 1901 census records, Patrick indicates his birthplace as "At Sea" and then "Ocean"! So he was presumably born during the crossing from Ireland.

Unfortunately none of this makes things much clearer, but I just wanted to share what I have in case you've found other evidence that might explain things.

I hope to hear back from you. Thanks!

Brendan