Author Topic: Unmarried mothers Chester Le Street 1905-1925  (Read 2432 times)

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Unmarried mothers Chester Le Street 1905-1925
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 31 March 16 17:07 BST (UK) »
Just as Stan mentions but rather than communicate I would say how did they stay in touch. Walk or take the bus. Just as I did when I was young in County Durham. My grandfather was an under aged coalface miner during WW1.He died in Pelton, aged 99. Collected his black lung pension until the day he died. On his days off he walked a lot and never smoked.

Durham Mining Museum list of Collieries on link below.

http://www.dmm.org.uk/colliery/index.htm

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 31 March 16 17:22 BST (UK) »
it is under three miles, well within walking distance.

Quite right! My father, brought up in a County Durham mining village, walked a good 5 mile round trip to school and home again every day whatever the weather.
The family had no transport whatsoever, so if the infrequent buses weren't going to where they needed to be they just walked and I'd imagine that's what most people did.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline thebottos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 31 March 16 18:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks Stan. So if he attested to East yorkshire army 6.4.25 is there anyway we can find out where he lived and what he was doing or is that impossible? Am I right that he could not sign up until 17/18. He was born in 1905

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 31 March 16 21:58 BST (UK) »
After the 1911 census there is no way to find out where he lived or what he was doing, except in the unlikely event he was mentioned in a newspaper for something.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 01 April 16 12:45 BST (UK) »
I recently found my greatgreat grandmother had an illegitimate child (the baptism record helpfully wrote it on the bottom) - 'Bertie' was living with his grandparents on subsequent censuses (his mother married when he was 2) no mention of who his parents are - a few trees on ancestry have attached him as his uncles son (I really hope that isn't the case) - as the surnames match and it would make him a grandson - so in short, no they didn't have to explain.

Offline thebottos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 06 April 16 16:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks. I probably need to post this elsewhere but if born in 1905 I am assuming he couldn't sign up to the army until aged 18? Does anyone know around the 1925 time if he would have joined a territorial army first before attainment in 1926? Did he need any experience before signing up and being posted to Aldershop immediately. He seemed to be living around Pelton and Urpeth Collieries, Chester-Le_Street