Author Topic: Facebook password changed  (Read 338 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Facebook password changed
« on: Friday 01 April 16 11:13 BST (UK) »
I had an email a few minutes ago to say that someone tried to log in to my Facebook account from a different location (different country to where I live) using Windows XP. It also said my password was changed.
I tried to log in to my FB account (not using the link in the email) but through my bookmaarked page, and it said that I was using an old password. I have now changed my password.
I don't see how anyone could have logged in with my password and then changed it. I have never been to the place the log in was supposed to have happened, although I was in that country about two years ago.
I would be surprised if anyone had guessed my password, I don't think even my husband could work it out.
Fortunately any passwords I use for banking etc are completely different

Has anyone else had anything similar recently?

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
Re: Facebook password changed
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 April 16 12:27 BST (UK) »
I haven't experienced it personally, but apparently it's very common, along with Facebook hacking!

I just googled this

"Facebook password and hacking scams" to see what came up!

And it came up with loads!  There are even pages with instructions how to do it!

All recommendations say to reset your password (which you have already done) or contact Facebook!

I think if the location is different than usual, Facebook will pick it up - and hence the email you received.

Now I come to think of it, when I was in UK last year, the first time I logged into Facebook, I couldn't get in, then got an email from them, but I can't remember why, but it was something to do with my location having changed (from NZ)

I think it's a good idea to change online passwords regularly! And not to use the same ones for everything!  I use a couple of standard ones for non- personal type sites, and don't bother to change those, and totally different ones where I probably have more risk of being hit on! They're the ones I change quite regularly. 

Trouble is, I have to keep them all in a notebook, and carry them round with me if I'm away from home.  But it's a small notebook that shows silly made up inane diary type things that to me are websites and no one else would have a clue what it meant anyway. 

Thank goodness my banking password and pin are firmly in my head!

I do hate those wave and pay bank cards though- although here that's the way they all are, and I have no option, but to have it!  But I have never waved it, never will - and always just enter my pin in the usual way.

Anyway, good luck with your Facebook thing!

Jeanne 😄

"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections