Author Topic: st kentigerns cemetery glasgow  (Read 3776 times)

Offline Jay0777

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: st kentigerns cemetery glasgow
« Reply #9 on: Friday 05 July 19 08:53 BST (UK) »
Hi nazchk, thanks for your reply. We were at the cemetery yesterday but unfortunately there didn’t seem to be anyone working! Will go back again on another day. Thanks again.

Monica, thanks for the information, I already had the section and lair numbers I just wondered how I could go about finding the lair itself!

Jay
Pollock, Thomson, Kane, Hutton, Johnston, McGeehan, Sweeney Moan, Patterson, Gilchrist, Davidson, Silver, Neilson, Porterfield, Meyrick

Offline garngad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 05 July 19 10:08 BST (UK) »
Not St Kentigerns but I to retrieved my grt grandmothers lair number at St Peters Dalbeth and section number from the RC Archdiocese online it seems that every row of headstones there is a least one numbered usually on the base sometimes these are hard to see on the older ones and maybe over grown a wee bit with grass but with a wee bit of detective work always better in the drier days if you can find a map on sites like this and you have the correct numbers section lair etc you will succeed plz keep trying it is more than worth the effort hope this is of some help.
Henderson
Crawford

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 05 July 19 20:08 BST (UK) »
Jay, sorry, of course you have them.

Try here www.glasgow.gov.uk/bereavement You can call or email them for advice.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jay0777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 08 July 19 09:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you garngad, will be making another trip out there soon so will check for numbers.
Monica I have emailed the department you suggested so we will see what they say.
Thanks again everyone for your help, we can always rely on you chatters for help when needed!😃
Pollock, Thomson, Kane, Hutton, Johnston, McGeehan, Sweeney Moan, Patterson, Gilchrist, Davidson, Silver, Neilson, Porterfield, Meyrick

Offline Jay0777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 08 July 19 11:44 BST (UK) »
Monica, just thought I'd let you know I have received a response from the above. Unfortunately as they are a small team they can't offer that service. Worth a try though.

Will just do what a lot of posters have suggested and try to find a number on existing gravestones! Hopefully when we next visit someone will be around to maybe point us in the right direction, if not then Miss. Marple it is!😀

Thanks again everyone.

Jay

Offline garngad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 08 July 19 19:47 BST (UK) »
Jay0777 your welcome just as another wee tip that could be of help at St Kentigerns there is a container/portacabin in the bottom car park run by the headstone sellers/erectors ( cant remember the company name) if that s open they could be a good place to ask for directions to a grave....
Henderson
Crawford

Offline Jay0777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 11 July 19 18:49 BST (UK) »
I’ll look out for that garngard, thanks again!!😃

Offline zimmer46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 25 July 19 17:20 BST (UK) »
Not been on the forum lately so only just read this.   You can sometimes locate a lair or at least the approx. location using the map https://www.glasgowfamilyhistory.org.uk/ExploreRecords/Documents/St%20Kentigerns%20Cemetery%20Plan.pdf .   You will know the section number from the info I sent you.  If you visit the cemetery again and find the section, have a close look at some headstones down near their base or on the sides.  You sometimes find the lair reference number is inscribed.   They are usually in sequence, tho not always, so you can narrow down the location within the section.   Even if no stone exists, you can get a reasonable fix on where the lair is.   

You can also contact the cemeteries dept and they will locate it for you, but may charge a fee.

Hope that helps.  Good luck

Andrew

Offline zimmer46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 25 July 19 17:54 BST (UK) »
The monumental sculptor Garngad mentioned is T McGowan and Sons.  Tel for the St Kentigerns portacabin is 0141 946 2429.  Very helpful lady there most days.  She told me recently that there is now only one work team covering all the Glasgow City Council cemeteries.   

Andrew