Author Topic: Viola Myrtle Pierce. Missing from 1930 & 1940 US Census.  (Read 3716 times)

Offline KiwiRose

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Viola Myrtle Pierce. Missing from 1930 & 1940 US Census.
« on: Saturday 02 April 16 02:07 BST (UK) »
Viola Myrtle Pierce was born, in 1884, and brought up in Sedro Woolley, Skagit, Washington State.

I have found her in all Federal Census up to and including 1920. Thereafter, in spite of years of searching on and off, I have been unsuccessful in locating her in later census.

Viola aged 35yrs was last found in the 1920 US Federal Census living with her husband, Francis Pierce, aged 37yrs at 914 19th Street, Commercial, Anacortes, Skagit, WA.  There are apparently no children born to this couple. Viola’s parents’ birthplaces are correct – Ireland and Illinois as is her birthplace which was Washington.  Francis was born in Minnesota.

Since then I have found the following snippets of information which confirms that Viola was still alive and using her married name in late 1937.

•   According to an entry in Polk’s Skagit County directory 1921/22 Francis A and Viola Pierce are living in Anacortes at 914 19th. This is the same address as the 1920 census

•   Viola Pierce is mentioned in her mother’s October 1933 Sedro Woolley obituary as living in Tillamook, Oregon.

•   On 19 July 1934 a Francis Pierce died in Tillamook, Oregon with a spouse named Viola.

•   In November 1937 Viola Pierce is a witness at her brother’s Tillamook, Oregon wedding.

Where were Frank and Viola in 1930? No matter which methods I use, Christian name only, no names just year and place of birth etc, to search in the 1930 census I have never found them anywhere. As they were both still alive they must be somewhere.

Did Viola die after Nov 1937, or remarry, before the 1940 Census?  I know that Viola had died by 1969 as she is not mentioned in a sister’s 1969 obituary.

I would really appreciate the help of another pair of eyes to help me find Viola M Pierce, nee Moore, in the 1930 and, if she is still alive, in the 1940 census.

Regards,
KiwiRose.
Ireland:
County Antrim: Carrickfergus District: Irwin, McAllister, McNeil, Moore.
County Clare: Barrett.
USA:
Washington State: Moore, Hoyt, Sinclair, Johnson, Palmateer, Larrabee.
California: De Curtoni.
New Zealand: De Cartoni, Lofquist, Harding.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Viola Myrtle Pierce. Missing from 1930 & 1940 US Census.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 April 16 11:59 BST (UK) »
I wonder if they travelled somewhere  :-\ have you tried looking at passenger lists?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 April 16 12:21 BST (UK) »
Not had much luck with this couple even with spelling variations  ::)  Still looking.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 April 16 15:28 BST (UK) »
In November 1937 Viola Pierce is a witness at her brother’s Tillamook, Oregon wedding.

Can you find her brother in 1930/1940 just in case they are together and she has been put down wrongly?

When and where did Viola pass away?
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 April 16 15:38 BST (UK) »
What was her maiden name?
Pick - Frocester Glos

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 April 16 15:49 BST (UK) »
When and where did Viola pass away?

It sounds like that is unknown, but likely between 1937 and 1969.

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 April 16 15:58 BST (UK) »
Her maiden name was Moore.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 April 16 19:27 BST (UK) »
I wonder if they travelled somewhere  :-\ have you tried looking at passenger lists?

I also wondered that.  Given their proximity to Canada and the fact that in 1920 he stated he worked in a lumber mill, I wondered if they could have crossed the border, looking for work?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 April 16 21:25 BST (UK) »
I didn't read any of the "fine print", but I wonder why there isn't anything for Mr. Pierce's passing in 1934, nor the Moore marriage in the Oregon records index:
http://genealogy.state.or.us/
 :-\

After a brief search, I didn't see anything in Oregon newspapers
http://oregonnews.uoregon.edu/search/pages/
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)