Author Topic: Constance Muriel Steell  (Read 5866 times)

Offline murton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Constance Muriel Steell
« on: Saturday 02 April 16 12:42 BST (UK) »
Re Constance Muriel Steell, Is there the remote possibility that anyone may have any details of this lady? I trust that I have identified the correct County?

The only information I have is that she was a Nurse (possibly a V.A.D.) who died on duty 20th March 1917 serving at Bradford War Hospital. . She is buried in Colinton Parish Churchyard, Edinburgh, suggesting that this was her hometown.

Grateful for any assistance.

Tony

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Constance Muriel Steell
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 April 16 13:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony the only record I can see in Scotland for a Constance M Steell is in the 1891 census living at her grandfather's house
2.Palmerton Place Edinburgh
Gourlay Steell age 72 animal painter
Jessie G Steel age 30 daughter
Eliza Steel age 31 british subject b Germany visitor daughter in law
Constance M Steell b 1888 age 3 british subject USA

1901 census address Hawthorn Vale Kinross
Edwin Landseer John Steell age 38 retired farmer
Lylie L Steell age 41 british subject Berlin
Constance M Steell british subject Florida USA age 13

You would really need to order a copy of the death certificate to see who her father was to see if this is the same person
Rosie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 April 16 14:15 BST (UK) »
Edit - This post crossed with Rosie's post above

I see from FreeBMD that she was aged 26 when she died. So she was born in 1890/1891.

There are no births of a Constance Steel* in Scotland between 1885 and 1895. However there are three Constance Muriels
Surname Gallie, born Patrick 1889, died Bo'ness 1978
Surname Hines, born Kirkintilloch 1889, no marriage or death in Scotland
Surname Harrison, born Edinburgh 1894, died Uphall 1986

There are two marriages of Constance M Hines in FreeBMD, both after 1917.

There is a marriage of a Constance M Ratcliff to Claude W Steele in Edmonton in 1915, but there is no Constance Muriel Ratcliff(e) in FreeBMD.

There are no relevant births or marriages of a Constance Steel* in Northern Ireland.

There is no Constance Muriel Steel* in the 1911 census index to which I have access. There is just one Constance Steel*, aged 20, born Liverpool, daughter of George Steel, manual training teacher, and Jane Steel both born Liverpool.

This one is the right age, and seems to be the only candidate. However I cannot explain where she acquired a middle name, or why she was buried in Colinton, both of which would seem to rule her out.

I suggest going for the burial record, which should tell you who bought the lair, and who else (if anyone) is buried in the same lair. See http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/info/20019/burials_and_cremations/316/burial_records
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 April 16 14:17 BST (UK) »
You would really need to order a copy of the death certificate to see who her father was to see if this is the same person

Unfortunately she died in England, and English death certificates don't tell you who the parents of the deceased were. So this won't help.

However she does look like a better candidate than the one born in Liverpool.

I thought there might have been a death announcement in The Scotsman, but there doesn't seem to be.

Still think the burial is the one to go for.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 April 16 14:25 BST (UK) »

Unfortunately she died in England, and English death certificates don't tell you who the parents of the deceased were. So this won't help.

However she does look like a better candidate than the one born in Liverpool.

My mistake I thought the father's name would have been mentioned.. I did see the death for Constance given a birth year about 1891 being out by a few years but then some of these are never Accurate ..There is also a record for E L J Steell Scottish farmer travelling with Mrs Steell to New York 1886 so you never know
Rosie

Offline Unë kthimi i papenduar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 April 16 22:46 BST (UK) »
Forfarian, perhaps the IT problems at Scotlandspeople have messed up your 1911 search.
677/00 004/00 011 aged 23 Colinton.

Edwin L  J Steell  47  Manufacturers  (Tobacco) Agent b Edinburgh
Eliza L Steell 47 b Germany Brit Subject by Parentage
Constance M daughter 23 b U.S. America Brit Subject by Parentage

24 yrs married 1 child 1 living

Belmont Road "Ardenlea" Parish of Juniper Green Civil Parish Colinton.

There is a mention of a Mr "Steel" in memories at http://www.junipergreencc.org.uk/jg300-1/thomson.html
and her grandfather was Gourlay Steell - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gourlay_Steell.

Her parents died in the early 1940's.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 April 16 23:31 BST (UK) »
No, I was only looking in England. Obviously on a wild goose chase!

Offline murton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 April 16 10:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks all for your interest. Sorry for delay with response but have a rheumatoid problem that is currently requiring medical attention and is seriously affecting my concentration so at the moment unable to go any further. However, the following , from your posts, appears to be the most appropriate but let me know what you think!

The 1891 Census quotes Constance Muriel Steell as living with her grandfather, Gourlay Steell, age 72 at 2 Palmerton Place, Edinburgh age 3 years suggesting a birth year of 1888 and born in the U.S.A. Also resident is her mother Eliza Steell age 31 born Germany and her aunt Jessie G. Steell age 30.

There also appears to be a record of an E .L .J .Steell, Scottish farmer travelling with Mrs. Steell to New York in 1886; appears to fit in with the dates above and Constance’s birth year.

The 1901 Census lists the family living; I assume their own residence, at Hawthorn Vale, Kinross.
Edwin Landseer John Steell age 38 a retired farmer (a bit young but that’s what it says)
Lylie L. Steell age 41 British subject born Berlin, Germany.
Constance M. Steell age 13 British subject born Florida U.S.A,

The 1911 Census quotes – Residence Belmont Road, “Ardenlea” Parish of Juniper Green Civil Parish Colington,  Edwin L.J. Steel age 47. Manufacturers (Tobacco) Agent. Eliza L. Steell age 47 (I think that is a typo error, should be 51). Constance M. Daughter age 23. (Would make her 29 at death.

Constance died on duty at Bradford War Hospital 29th March 1917 and is buried in Colinton Parish Churchyard, Edinburgh.

Tony

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 April 16 11:09 BST (UK) »
Hope you are feeling a bit better now think this could be a possibility what is your relationship to this person ...There is a lot of information on  the grandfather Gourlay Steell and his family ...Maybe you should try and see if there are any nursing records for Constance
Rosie

Added you can also check the newspapers for details of funeral arrangements to see what names are mentioned