Author Topic: Constance Muriel Steell  (Read 5861 times)

Offline Unė kthimi i papenduar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Constance Muriel Steell
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 April 16 16:35 BST (UK) »
The Death notice in "The Scotsman" only mentions that she died at Bradford War Hospital and the only daughter of E.L. Steell, Juniper Green.    Funeral at Colinton Cemetery on Friday 23rd at two o'clock.  Friends please accept this (the only) intimation and invitation.

Her father had in March 1915 written to the paper calling for a Citizens Corps to be raised in the Colinton, Juniper Green and Currie district.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 April 16 18:38 BST (UK) »
The Death notice in "The Scotsman" only mentions that she died at Bradford War Hospital and the only daughter of E.L. Steell, Juniper Green.    Funeral at Colinton Cemetery on Friday 23rd at two o'clock.  Friends please accept this (the only) intimation and invitation

Well done so this is the right person then  :)

Offline murton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 11 April 16 13:28 BST (UK) »
Rosie & Une

Sorry for delay but having a difficult time and waiting for possible surgery on right foot. However; no Rosie I am not a relative she is one of my 4000+ unfortunate ladies I am now struggling to look after. My initial project was to get a photo of their graves knowing that someone had visited them but now try to get more personal details.

However just applied for a Death Certificate and got a phone call this morning from the GRO as I quoted her age as 29 and the lady said that she has a D.C. with an age of 26, however Rosie way back you quoted an entry on the 1891 census that Constance was quoted as 3 years old suggesting that she was born in 1888 making her age in 1917 as 29. However I wonder if she should have been quoted in the census as 3 months old that would have made her 26 in 1917; anyway I have accepted the D.C. which she is posting tomorrow. All the other details on the D.C. Appear to agree with all our other info.

Am also awaiting a response from the B.R.C. to ascertain if she was a V.A.D.

Will be in touch later.

Tony

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 11 April 16 14:26 BST (UK) »
Yes the age details vary quite a lot on the census forms it would have been easier if we had a birth certificate in America but no luck there ...Any way keep us informed and hope you are feeling better soon
Rosie

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 11 April 16 14:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony,

Don't know if this will be much help to you but there is an entry on FIND A GRAVE for her burial at Colinton Parish Church. No date of birth though.

It is a beautiful spot and I have visited it myself looking for family graves.

Sorry, forgot to take the exact web address for FIND A GRAVE but if you just enter it into your search engine it should bring it up ok.

I manage some of the Scottish graves for my family on this site.

Best wishes,

Dorrie.

P.S. Hope your health improves soon.
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 11 April 16 21:18 BST (UK) »
Tony, Constance was in the Edinburgh area at the time of the 1911 census. Ages showing as 23, from the general index. Three censuses show her as born c. 1887-8.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline murton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 11 April 16 22:14 BST (UK) »
Monica

It would appear that, for some reason, the census's got it wrong or the information given on the census returns was wrong. You will see from a previous post that the GRO phoned me this morning to say that the Death Certificate they have she is quoted as 26 when she died; so there has been some confusion whil she was alive or some confusion regarding her death age. The D.C, might give a clue when I get it.

Tony

Offline Unė kthimi i papenduar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 14:21 BST (UK) »
I would recommend that you look at http://scottishwargraves.phpbbweb.com/scottishwargraves-post-17003.html   

There you will find a photograph of her memorial stone, her name on the Parish War memorial and further information.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 17:57 BST (UK) »
I would recommend that you look at http://scottishwargraves.phpbbweb.com/scottishwargraves-post-17003.html   

There you will find a photograph of her memorial stone, her name on the Parish War memorial and further information.

Pity it did not list her age