Author Topic: GERMANY: John Westerman  (Read 3802 times)

Offline v i c k y

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
GERMANY: John Westerman
« on: Tuesday 19 July 05 13:50 BST (UK) »
I found out today that my g-g-g-grandfather was from Hannover. I don't know if it was the province of Hannover (now Lower Saxony), or the town of Hannover, but I wondered if anyone here can help me find out about his life in Germany. It would be great to know when and where exactly he was born, the name of his mother and any siblings (I already know that his father was also called John Westerman) and what made him move to England and when.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I can't visit Kew at the moment. I couldn't find him when I searched the National Archives site. I have him traced on the 1851, 1861, 1871 and 1881 censuses (or is it censes?!) and I know when he was married (have got the certificate) and when he died. I don't have the death certificate, though.

Thank you.
Barrington, Westerman (originally from Hannover), Long (originally from Prussia), Lorymore, Flyng, Porter - all Bristol, Gloucestershire.
Grimes - Bridgwater, Somerset.
Lamb - Poplar, Essex, Hither Green, Kent.
Dwan, Turner, Cole, Carter, Walker, Kay, Hughes, Maplesden - all St Olaves/Bermondsey/Rotherhithe/Southwark/Stepney/Lambeth/Wandsworth.

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Family History - the ultimate detective story
    • View Profile
Re: GERMANY: John Westerman
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 July 05 14:05 BST (UK) »
 :D :D :D

Do you know if he obtained Naturalisation - if so, the records are held at Kew (you will have to go youself or else get someone else to), and they will more than likely show the name of his town/village in Hansestadt (main City) Hannover, Germany

BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline v i c k y

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 July 05 14:21 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks for replying so quickly. :)

I'm afraid I don't know. On the 1851 and 1881 censuses, he was listed as a British Subject (in 1861 and 1871, he was said to have been born in Bristol and Guernsey respectively). Sorry if it's a stupid question, but how could I find out if he obtained Naturalisation? Like I said, I can't get to Kew at the moment - probably not even this year. Would contacting the Anglo-German FHS help at all?
Barrington, Westerman (originally from Hannover), Long (originally from Prussia), Lorymore, Flyng, Porter - all Bristol, Gloucestershire.
Dwan, Turner, Cole, Carter, Walker, Kay, Hughes, Maplesden - all St Olaves/Bermondsey/Rotherhithe/Southwark/Stepney/Lambeth/Wandsworth.

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 July 05 14:27 BST (UK) »
 :D :D

Sorry, I'm a bit confused - do you know for sure if  he 'was from Hannover', and do you suspect Bristol & Guernsey to be  perhaps red herrings, due to the political climate ?

BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline v i c k y

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 July 05 15:02 BST (UK) »
This is all I know about my g-g-g-grandfather, John Westerman:

~~~~~~~~-------

The following is from the 1851 census for St. Paul, Bristol:

Westerman John, 33, sugar baker, born Hanover BS
Westerman Caroline, 29, laundress, born St. James
Westerman Henry, 4 months, born St. Paul

~~~~~~~~-------

The following is from the 1861 census for St. Barnabus, Bristol:

Westerman John, 1816, Bristol, Labourer
Westerman Caroline, 1824,Bristol
Westerman Henry, 1851, Bristol
Westerman Frederick, 1853, Bristol
Westerman Caroline, 1855, Bristol
Westerman Ellen, 1857, Bristol
Westerman Frank, 1859, Bristol
Westerman James, 1860, Bristol

~~~~~~~~-------

The following is from the 1871 census for St. Barnabus, Bristol:

John Westerman, 1819, Guernsey, Channel Island, Sugar Refiner
Caroline, 1825, Bristol
Henry John, 1851, Bristol
Frederick, 1853, Bristol
Caroline, 1855, Bristol, Book Binder
Frank, 1859, Bristol
James, 1862, Bristol

~~~~~~~~-------

The following is from the 1881 census for St James & St Paul Out, Bristol:

Dwelling: 79 Grosvenor Rd

William George BARRINGTON M 27 M Bristol, Gloucester, England
Rel: Head
Occ: Letter Carrier In Hall P O

Caroline BARRINGTON M 26 F Bristol, Gloucester, England
Rel: Wife

Caroline Edith BARRINGTON 4 F Bristol, Gloucester, England
Rel: Dau

Nellie BARRINGTON 3 F Bristol, Gloucester, England
Rel: Dau

Lepold Authorn BARRINGTON 1 M Bristol, Gloucester, England
Rel: Son

John WESTERMAN W 63 M (BS), Germany
Rel: Father
Occ: Labourer In Sugar Factory (Refiner)

James WESTERMAN U 20 M Bristol, Gloucester, England
Rel: Brother
Occ: Labourer In Sugar Factory

~~~~~~~~-------

I know that he married Caroline Long on 12 December 1848 in Bristol. I believe he died in 1889, aged 67.

Hope this clears up any confusion. :)

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 July 05 17:44 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D

From his profession Sugar Maker it definitely sounds like John (or Johann)  was German by birth (many 'Sugar Boilers' as they were called, came over to England at the time) - the Bristol and Guernsey entries were probaby either mistakes or made in order to appear 'English'.

As he is shown as a British Citizen, it's probable the record of his Citizenship is at Kew.

That's all I can suggest I'm afraid

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 July 05 17:53 BST (UK) »

I've just remembered - you could try the Anglo-German Family History Society they are very helpful with questions of this sort.

http://www.art-science.com/agfhs/

Happy hunting !!

Offline v i c k y

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 July 05 17:55 BST (UK) »
No need to apologise. Thank you very much for your interest and advice. Will certainly try the Anglo-German FHS. I'll have to get down to Kew one of these days... :)

Best wishes,
Vicky

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 July 05 18:00 BST (UK) »

Just as a matter of interest, and nothing to do with the subject, I see you are researching TURNER - mine were from Gorton, Manchester (see my website below) and I wondered if there was perhaps a connection