Author Topic: Woodgrange Park Cemetary  (Read 6057 times)

Offline Betty19

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Woodgrange Park Cemetary
« on: Sunday 03 April 16 10:13 BST (UK) »
Morning All
I am going to track down a relative who is buried in the Woodgrange Cemetary in Manor Park London
I hear it is in disrepair and over 15,000 graves dug up to make way for a block of flats . It is really shocking . Has anyone been there recently? Just how bad is it ?

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: Woodgrange Park Cemetary
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 April 16 10:51 BST (UK) »
Depending on how recently your relative was buried there, there is, as you have seen, a good chance the grave will no longer exist.  I've not been there personally but I know a distant relative was trying to locate some of her relatives buried there in the early 1900s and found that the graves had been reused in the 1990s.  I don't from memory think this was to do with building work that took place there, but just early reuse of graves. :-\  These were private graves with memorials so unfortunately I suspect there is a good chance your relative's grave may no longer exist.  I've a couple of relatives buried there as we have the memorial cards, from 1918 and 1919 respectively, and I doubt the graves still exist but can't say for sure.

It might be worth approaching the Cemetery and see if they can give you an idea if the grave does still exist, although how helpful they may be I couldn't say as have never tried contacting them, but when I contacted another of the cemeteries in the area by email, they didn't bother to respond to a quick question even though I'd been told they had previously been known to be helpful. :-X
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 April 16 11:04 BST (UK) »
an old topic here

http://londoncemeteries.co.uk/2011/05/04/woodgrange-park-cemetery-2/

a youtube video here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDi2RwTXXag

and a link to the Friends of Woodgrange Park, who might be able to help or point you in the right direction

http://www.fowpc.co.uk/
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Betty19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 April 16 11:51 BST (UK) »
That is a real shame , I am going anyway just to see for myself she was born in 1881 but lived a long life and was buried in 1963 so fingers crossed .
Thank you for your help
What makes them decide to reuse the grave? is it the age ??

Offline Betty19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 April 16 12:07 BST (UK) »
I live in Suffolk so it is a bit of a journey to Woodgrange , but I would gladly volunteer to look after a grave local to me in exchange for someone looking after a relative's grave for me.

Does such a scheme exist I am sure if more people were aware of these Cemeteries falling into disrepair they would volunteer their services?

Anyone who has a relative buried near me who is unable to tend the grave I am volunteering my services . Searching for a relative only to discover their last resting place has gone or falling into disrepair is a sad ending.

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 April 16 21:23 BST (UK) »
I have relatives in Woodgrange and was told that the last time any family visited, it was overgrown and impossible to locate the grave.

Very interested in hearing any more recent update on the situation.
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline Betty19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 April 16 22:16 BST (UK) »
I am hoping to travel down this week so will let you know how I get on

Offline Betty19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 April 16 22:06 BST (UK) »
I have just come back from Woodgrange Park cemetery Manor Park.
Words fail me, I can not describe how terrible the condition of  most of the older graves are as it would not do the level of destruction justice
It is sad .
MY ADVISE IS, IF YOU HAVE A RELATIVE BURIED THERE AND YOU WANT THE GRAVE TO STAY PUT THEN YOU MUST GO DOWN ASAP AND MAINTANT IT.
ANY GRAVE THAT IS NOT MAINTAINED WILL GO .
THERE IS CLEARLY NO MONEY TO BE MADE FROM THE LONG DEAD.
my Great Gran was buried there in 1963 her grave was attended up until her children died.  Then her Grandchildren came sporadically , then they all moved away from the area and left it to long , and now it has gone .
SHE WAS DUG UP AND PUT IN A MASS GRAVE
AND THE LAND SOLD FOR FLATS.

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 April 16 11:41 BST (UK) »
I have a grave number: it is 1846 / 27

I do not know where to find an index that wold enable this plot to be identified.

If anyone who is going there is able to identify this plot (don't worry if you cannot ... but if you can ... ) please could you take a quick look and report back on whether it appears still to be there and in what condition, whether there is a legible memorial etc.

If there IS a legible memorial ... my relatives in that grave (there are at least three of them) should have the surname Burrows.
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright