Author Topic: Phoenix Place, Shrewsbury  (Read 7006 times)

Offline woodworth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Phoenix Place, Shrewsbury
« Reply #9 on: Monday 26 September 05 20:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Thanks to everyone.

I am pleased that a little part of the history has been preserved, I will take a visit when all building work has been completed. Wonderful sites, I am still looking for the original layout of Phoenix place and the house numbers

Thanks again

George
Researching: Gentile - Yorkshire, Shrewsbury, Oswestry Chester.  Woodworth - Handbridge Chester. Taylor - Yorkshire and Chester. Ellis - Wrexham. Wraight - Margate Kent

Offline s.g.d.

• RootsChat Senior
  • THE PEOPLES REPUBLIC OF SHROPSHIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 12 November 05 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Phoenix Place has also been known as Shackleton's Shut and Mason's Shut.

when Radio Shropshire did a programme called the century speaks they interviewed a family about their time living there.

hope this helps

Offline WILDE1963

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 04:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi George
Just read an old entry of yours about Phoenix place. I have just discovered that my G/Grand father and mother lived at No 5. I dont suppose you have any info about this place
Regards Graham Wilde

Offline woodworth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Graham,
Thanks for the message about Phoenix Place. Just to recap my grandparents lived there in 1910-1911, my uncle Antonio was born there in 1910. Phoenix Place has a lot of history the Phoenix Place entry is still there and the sign is still over the entrance. Better than me explain about it if you go on the net and put in Phoenix Place Shrewbury, also [b]Shrewsbury Shuts, [/b] then you can see the stories and pictures. There is new build around there but the Phoenix Place is enshrined in the History of Shrewsbury they have preserved the entry and all that surrounds it, but unfortunately not the houses. Have a look at the net and let me know what you think, please tell me what year your G/grandfather and mother lived there.
Best wishes
George
Researching: Gentile - Yorkshire, Shrewsbury, Oswestry Chester.  Woodworth - Handbridge Chester. Taylor - Yorkshire and Chester. Ellis - Wrexham. Wraight - Margate Kent

Offline woodworth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Graham,
I forgot to say I have been there a few times, its easy to find.
George

Offline AileenP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 31 December 11 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi, My Great Grandmother lived in Phoenix Place too. I've been to have a look at it and now it is is just a passage but you can see what the size of the dwellings were by looking at the wall some still have the back fireplace holes.  They were tiny.  One of the relatives that is is still alive explained about how it was to live there.  He met his future wife there too.  Must admit I did shed a tear or two when you look at what has gone and the shiny new monstrosities they are chucking up around it.
PARRY - Pontesbury, Pulvabatch, Shrewsbury and Broseley. Shropshire
BULLOCK- Broseley and Madeley
POPE - Cleobury Mortimer, Clun, Shrewsbury, The Rock and Worcester
BROWN - Coleham and Coton Hill Shrewsbury and Leicester
AMOS- Madeley Shropshire and Yorkshire
NORTHALL - Madeley and Yorkshire
LEWIS- Llanfhiangle Denbigh, Llansaintffraid Montgomeryshire, Morton Oswestry Shrops
MULLARD - Deuxhill, Cressage, Ruyton XI Towns, Shrops
EVANS - Melverley, , Welshpool
BREEZE- Shrewsbury and many more!

Offline woodworth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 31 December 11 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I don't really know the number my Grandparent's lived at, I think it was 17. I know from the information on my uncle Antonio's birth certificate that they lived there. I can't seem to find them on the 1911 census, it would have been very nice if I could. Sorry about the picture I must have chosen the wrong photo, its on of the families in Piscinisco Italy.
Best wishes with your research.
Does anyone have a plan of the houses and their numbers.
George

Offline eveabrick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 31 January 12 21:06 GMT (UK) »
my father lived at no 19 and my grandfarther & great grandfarther at  17 till the slum clerance after the second world war  it used to suffer from flood waters

eveabrick

Offline woodworth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 01 February 12 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Evabrick,
Many thanks for the infomation. My Grandparents went to live in Oswestry after that and then to Chester.
Best wishes
George