Author Topic: The Scott Family  (Read 466 times)

Offline Litha

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Scott Family
« on: Sunday 03 April 16 23:38 BST (UK) »
Good evening!

I'm new to the forum, but I was wondering if anybody here might have information about a Thomas Scott born between 1815 and 1823 (roughly), who immigrated to America sometime before 1859 and settled in Southern Indiana.  I do not know whether he married his wife Mariah (or Maria) before or after arriving in America, but she was also born in Ireland, roughly between 1825 and 1830.  The earliest documentation for them I've been able to find, to date, is a census record from 1860.  I'd love to learn something about their lives before America, particularly where in Ireland they came from, but so far my research hasn't turned up anything.  Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

~Litha

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Scott Family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 April 16 10:10 BST (UK) »
The dates you have are well before the start of civil registration and most early census records (pre-1901) do not survive. In order to find information you will need to know a more exact location than 'Ireland' or even the county- townland or parish- and the family's religion to see what church records from that period might be available (either on or off line).

Have a look at this topic about tracing Irish ancestors-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=498742.0
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!