Author Topic: Brickwall - James Gibson death record  (Read 963 times)

Offline mysteries

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brickwall - James Gibson death record
« on: Monday 04 April 16 06:33 BST (UK) »
Hello

Am finding it incredibly difficult to find the death record for James Gibson, who was born on 3 May 1858 in Carnock, Fife, Scotland. By the 1870's he was in England serving in the Royal Scots Guard.

He married Ellen Elizabeth Allum in 1880. After a less than illustrious career in the Army, James saw out his last days in the Army in the Army Reserves until 1892.

From there, James just disappears.

In the 1911 UK census Ellen appears with most of her children. It indicates that she is 'married', however, James is not in the census with the family.

There is a James Gibson appearing in the electoral rolls living at 33 Yelverton in Battersea, however, this is the son of Ellen and James. It is known that James snr was living in Battersea for a time, and then in Watford.

Would appreciate any help from the wonderful researchers here in finding a death record (and anything on him after he left the Army Reserves in 1892).

Regards M

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Brickwall - James Gibson death record
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 April 16 07:40 BST (UK) »
Do you have him living in Battersea in 1901 with wife and children and niece Ada Allum?? He is age 44 born  Oakley, Scotland??

Kay

Offline mysteries

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 April 16 23:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kay  :)

Yes, I have that information now :-) It would seem that some time after 1901, James separated from his family. Frustrating given there are just so many James Gibsons in records, I just can't determine which one is the James I'm looking for.

Regards
Meg

Offline Paula Brown

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 December 16 21:55 GMT (UK) »
I have been trying to research James Gibson for a while as he is my great grandfather.  I have found all the same information as you.  I know one of my aunts mentioned that she heard he separated from Ellen but doesn't know what happened to him.  My aunt did remember Ellen though.
Paula.