Author Topic: Elizabeth Pledall  (Read 1090 times)

Offline 0191alex11

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Pledall
« on: Wednesday 06 April 16 11:03 BST (UK) »
Hi!
    Can anyone help with the transcribing of a will of an Elizabeth Pledall of Cumnor, Berkshire?

Her will is on Ancestry UK but very difficult to read and I don't know how to make sections available to view on Rootschat? From what I can gather the probate date is 7th May 1634. In her will she mentions:

Brother John Wilton, Kinsman Richard Wilton, Henry Langleys children he had by her kinswoman (cant make name out but it could be Thomasin?), also Margaret, Ann, Joane, Rebecca and John Robartes or Roberts? A Richard Jennings and John Jennings and possibly a William Pledall?

Any help much appreciated! :)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Pledall
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 April 16 23:02 BST (UK) »
There's some help with uploading and resizing images given in this thread ...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

Henry Langleys children he had by her kinswoman (cant make name out but it could be Thomasin?)
The words after kinswoman are not her name but Threescore pound(es) – the amount of the bequest to be divided between Henry Langley’s children. I don't think the kinswoman is named, at least not in this section of the will.

From what I can gather the probate date is 7th May 1634.
Agreed. The will was proved (and approved by Judicial Sentence) on 7 May 1634. The executor was Thomas Jenning(e)s.

A Judicial Sentence suggests there had been a dispute, which was resolved by the court when probate was granted. The Sentence is actually the next item in the register, immediately after the will, in Latin. I’m afraid I don’t have time to do it today, but perhaps someone else will.

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 April 16 11:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have transliterated the Will for you and roughly translated the grant of Probate that immediately follows the Will. 

There is, however, an extensive one page sentence handed down by the Prerogative Court of Canterbury at London in Latin concerning the granting of probate in this matter.  That I have not translated for you. 

In the transliteration that follows, I have words that contain square brackets [ ] which indicates that the word had been in a contracted form in the Will.  The letters inside the square brackets are those that had been omitted.  You will also see that largely I have used modern spelling in place of the archaic spelling found throughout the document.

IN THE NAME OF GOD, AMEN:  on the seventeenth day of July Anno Domini 1633, I, ELIZABETH PLEDALL, of Cumnoer in the County of Berks[hire] widow being sick and weak in body yet of good and perfect memory thanks be given unto God do make and ordain this my last Will and Testament in manner and form following,

First and principally I give and yield my soul into the hands of Almighty God my maker and Redeemer by whose death and passion I only trust to be saved and my body to the earth from whence it came and to be buried in Cumner at the discretion of my Executor and Overseer.

Inpr[imus], I give and bequeath unto JOHN WILTON my brother forty shillings.

It[em] I give unto RICHARD WILSON my kinsman eighteen pounds that is eight pounds oweth me and ten pounds more upon this condition that he do not vex nor trouble my Executor nor cause him to be vexed, sued or troubled for any matter cause or thing whatsoever.

It[em] I give unto HENRY LANGLEY'S children that he had by my kinswoman three score pounds to every one of them twenty pounds a piece.

It[em] I give unto ANTHONY KEW twenty pounds upon this condition that he shall not vex, molest nor sue my Executor for any matter cause or thing whatsoever.

It[em] I give unto MARGARET FARNEY forty shillings and unto her children twenty shillings a piece.

It[em] I give unto MARGARET ROBERTS, ANN ROBERTS, JOANE ROBERTS, REBECCA ROBERTS and JOHN ROBERTS twenty pounds to be equally divided between them upon this condition that they nor any of them do not vex, molest nor sue my Executor for any matter, cause or thing whatsoever.

It[em] I give unto GRISSILL BOWER my maid ten pounds.

It[em] I give unto JOANE BAGNALL five pounds.

It[em] I give unto ROBERT JENNINGS ten pounds.

It[em] I give unto JOHN JENNINGS ten pounds.

It[em] I give unto ELIZABETH WERDMAN ten shillings.

It[em] I give unto RICHARD [illegible surname] ten shillings.

It[em] I give unto ELIZABETH FOWLER twenty shillings

It[em] I give unto THOMAS PEAD ten shillings.

It[em] I give unto the poor of Cumner ten pounds.

It[em], I give unto the Church of Cumner forty shillings.

It[em] I give unto ANN LANGLEY a trunk with all things that is in it.

It[em] I give more unto GRISSILL BOWER  a wainscott chest, my cloke and my savegard, my hood, and a new petticote.

It[em] I give unto ROBERT JENNINGS one feather bed and boulster and two pair of sheets and a pair of blankets.

It[em] I give four pounds to make a causeway from holdings along the street by Peare poole along towards Goodman Bonds.

It[em] I give unto WILLIAM BOND five pounds.

And all other my goods and chattels moveables and  unmoveables, my funeral being discharged I give unto THOMAS JENNINGS whom I make my full and sole Executor of this my last Will.

And I do nominate and appoint my wellbeloved friend WILLIAM BOND to be my Overseer of this my last Will.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF I the said ELIZABETH PLEDALL have to this my last Will and Testament set to my hand the day and year first above written.

In the presence of the mark of Elizabeth Pledall.

Mo]r[e]over the two lynes [sic: lines] and the two pieces of lynes between the sixteenth and the seventeenth lyne were blotted and put out before Elizabeth Pledall did set to her hand.

John Fuellin
The mark of Robert Goodman

Probatum ac per Sententiam diffinitivam approbatum et insinuatum fuit testamentum suprascriptum apud London coram venerabili viro domine Henrico Marten milites legum doctore curia prerogative Cantuaria magistro custode sive commissario legitime constituto septimo die mensis Maii anno domini millesimo sextentesimo triesimo quarto juramento Thomae Jennings executoris in huismodi testamento nominati cui commissa fuit administraro omnium et singulorum bonorum jurium et creditorum dicti defuncti de bene et fideliter administrando eaden ad sancta dei evangelia jurate, etc.

Probate made of the above written Will by the definitive sentence in London at the court of the venerable man Sir Henry Marten, knight, doctor of laws, Master of the Prerogative Court of Canterbury of by the duly appointed commissioner by the oath the 7th day of the month of May in the year of our Lord one thousand six hundred thirty-four of Thomas Jennings named as Executor in the Will who swore by the love and to the holy Gospels of God to well and faithfully manage all and singular the goods and granted the rights of the administration of the rights of the said deceased and creditors and granted the rights of the administration, etc.

CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 April 16 15:08 BST (UK) »
Another suggestion for translating the probate clause ...

The above-written will was proved, approved by Definitive Sentence, and inserted (in the register) at London by the Worshipful Master Henry Marten, Knight, Doctor of Laws, Master Keeper or Commissary of the Prerogative Court of Canterbury lawfully constituted, on the seventh day of the month of May in the year of the Lord one thousand six hundred and thirty four by the oath of Thomas Jennings, the executor named in this will, to whom was granted administration of all and singular the goods, rights and credits of the said deceased, to well and truly administer the same, sworn on the Holy Evangelists of God. Examined.

Offline 0191alex11

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 April 16 17:31 BST (UK) »
Wow! Many thanks to everyone who has helped. Very much appreciated. :D

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 April 16 20:17 BST (UK) »
A Judicial Sentence suggests there had been a dispute, which was resolved by the court when probate was granted. The Sentence is actually the next item in the register, immediately after the will, in Latin.
I've now had a look at the Sentence for you.

A page and a half of legal Latin tells you, essentially, that John Wilton the elder had challenged Elizabeth Pledall’s will and the right of Thomas Jennings (her nephew) to act as her executor.

After due deliberation, the court decreed that Wilton’s challenge had no substance, declared Elizabeth's will to be valid, and found in favour of Jennings as executor.

Accordingly, Wilton had to repay to Jennings the costs of bringing the case to court.