Author Topic: Westmeath Registration Districts  (Read 1990 times)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Westmeath Registration Districts
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 18:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Sinann,

How kind of you to come back to this and check whether I managed to progress the 'missing' records.

I didn't - but wrote up the family history of the Daly and Travers families simply having to omit the details I couldn't find. I did find lots though, which made up for the omissions -- including the receipt of 42 pages of Military records for Michael Daly --- sent by Dublin Military Archives.

I was amazed to find that these were provided free of charge and when I enquired about at least making a donation - I was told they didn't have facilities to accept donations!

As a follow on snippet - the daughter of William Partland and Ellen Travers (from the Travers family I researched) was named Mary Josephine Partland  -- a couple of years ago I went to a talk about Oscar Wilde - and it was mentioned that Oscar Wilde's father had a mistress named Mary Josephine Travers! This was in Dublin apparantly and many years prior to the births of the Travers/Partlands in the tree. However I thought the names Mary Josephine, combined with the surname of Travers - were such a coincidence.

Thank you again for your message.
West Yorks; ---- Illingworth, Marshall, Muffit/Muffett/Murfitt, Barber, Sanderson, Townend, Barraclough, Lister -- and lots more. Locations mainly in Birstall parish - Hartshead-- Drighlington --Adwalton --Mirfield - Heckmondwike --Kippax - Sherburn in Elmet.

Ireland ------Cleary, Whelan - Nenagh.
Dowling - Monasterevin
Daly - Westmeath

Lancashire ---- Smith from Alston , Johnson and Fairclough---- Tarleton and loads more from Tarleton and Accrington areas.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 18:42 BST (UK) »
Oh interesting, names do travel down through the generations and Partland isn't a common surname so I'd say there is a good chance of connection, possibly quite distant but existing. Nice little story to have in either case. Lucky you.
You can't fish on a empty stomach so give the man one or two records so he knows how good it tastes.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 19:53 BST (UK) »
I haven't explored it at all -- but now you have said that I may just see what I can see.......! Although, the mistress was named Mary Josephine Travers - her surname was the maiden name of Mary Josephine Partland's mother.

We'll see (or not - as the case may be.)
West Yorks; ---- Illingworth, Marshall, Muffit/Muffett/Murfitt, Barber, Sanderson, Townend, Barraclough, Lister -- and lots more. Locations mainly in Birstall parish - Hartshead-- Drighlington --Adwalton --Mirfield - Heckmondwike --Kippax - Sherburn in Elmet.

Dowling - Monasterevin
Daly - Westmeath

Lancashire ---- Smith from Alston , Johnson and Fairclough---- Tarleton and loads more from Tarleton and Accrington areas.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 20:04 BST (UK) »
Travers of course, just as well I got my eyes tested today, I knew I needed to..:D I'll be flying when I get the glasses.
You can't fish on a empty stomach so give the man one or two records so he knows how good it tastes.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 20:12 BST (UK) »
Sinann -- you clearly didn't see the photograph of a Specsavers van which had crashed into a lamp post in Liverpool!

You can imagine the comments the Liverpudlians were making about that!

Dowling - Monasterevin
Daly - Westmeath

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 20:30 BST (UK) »
:D
Reminds me of the day the Goodyear truck blocked up the footpath on the bend near our house due to a flat tyre. My father was out with the camera, wonder where those photos went.

I didn't go to Specsavers I went to girl up the road from me. More expensive but so much easier, I could leave the house at 25 past for a half past appointment, no driving or looking or paying for parking.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 11:50 BST (UK) »
That's hilarious Sinann -- these days such a photo would do the rounds on circulating jokes or the like - or 'social media' as they call it.

Dowling - Monasterevin
Daly - Westmeath

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 12:03 BST (UK) »
Just looked for info about Oscar Wilde's father (we are going dreadfully off topic here -- sorry) -- but there is an article about him in Wikipedia, including information about his affair with a Mary Travers. We were told at the talk about Oscar, that her name was Mary Josephine Travers, so probably that was her full name.

Seems Oscar's Father was quite a clever and important (as well as a womanising) man.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Wilde

Dowling - Monasterevin
Daly - Westmeath

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 13:41 BST (UK) »