Author Topic: Westmeath Registration Districts  (Read 4593 times)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Westmeath Registration Districts
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 18:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Sinann,

How kind of you to come back to this and check whether I managed to progress the 'missing' records.

I didn't - but wrote up the family history of the Daly and Travers families simply having to omit the details I couldn't find. I did find lots though, which made up for the omissions -- including the receipt of 42 pages of Military records for Michael Daly --- sent by Dublin Military Archives.

I was amazed to find that these were provided free of charge and when I enquired about at least making a donation - I was told they didn't have facilities to accept donations!

As a follow on snippet - the daughter of William Partland and Ellen Travers (from the Travers family I researched) was named Mary Josephine Partland  -- a couple of years ago I went to a talk about Oscar Wilde - and it was mentioned that Oscar Wilde's father had a mistress named Mary Josephine Travers! This was in Dublin apparantly and many years prior to the births of the Travers/Partlands in the tree. However I thought the names Mary Josephine, combined with the surname of Travers - were such a coincidence.

Thank you again for your message.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 18:42 BST (UK) »
Oh interesting, names do travel down through the generations and Partland isn't a common surname so I'd say there is a good chance of connection, possibly quite distant but existing. Nice little story to have in either case. Lucky you.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 19:53 BST (UK) »
I haven't explored it at all -- but now you have said that I may just see what I can see.......! Although, the mistress was named Mary Josephine Travers - her surname was the maiden name of Mary Josephine Partland's mother.

We'll see (or not - as the case may be.)
Places of interest;

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 20:04 BST (UK) »
Travers of course, just as well I got my eyes tested today, I knew I needed to..:D I'll be flying when I get the glasses.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 20:12 BST (UK) »
Sinann -- you clearly didn't see the photograph of a Specsavers van which had crashed into a lamp post in Liverpool!

You can imagine the comments the Liverpudlians were making about that!
Places of interest;

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 20:30 BST (UK) »
:D
Reminds me of the day the Goodyear truck blocked up the footpath on the bend near our house due to a flat tyre. My father was out with the camera, wonder where those photos went.

I didn't go to Specsavers I went to girl up the road from me. More expensive but so much easier, I could leave the house at 25 past for a half past appointment, no driving or looking or paying for parking.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 11:50 BST (UK) »
That's hilarious Sinann -- these days such a photo would do the rounds on circulating jokes or the like - or 'social media' as they call it.
Places of interest;

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 12:03 BST (UK) »
Just looked for info about Oscar Wilde's father (we are going dreadfully off topic here -- sorry) -- but there is an article about him in Wikipedia, including information about his affair with a Mary Travers. We were told at the talk about Oscar, that her name was Mary Josephine Travers, so probably that was her full name.

Seems Oscar's Father was quite a clever and important (as well as a womanising) man.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Wilde
Places of interest;

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 13:41 BST (UK) »