Author Topic: Westmeath Registration Districts  (Read 4594 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Westmeath Registration Districts
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 14:00 BST (UK) »
There is a GENi entry which claims he died in 1888.
This may be his death, I don't understand the occupation, he was still married at the time, informant was Isobel Travers but it doesn't give her relationship to him.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1888/06178/4766274.pdf

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 14:27 BST (UK) »
Great finds Sinann.

I can't make out the occupation of Robert Travers either -- but thank you very much. I doubt they are connected to the Westmeath Travers -- just a coincidence of the Mary Josephine Partland whose mother's maiden name was Travers.

Interesting story about Oscar Wilde's father also. (I only remembered it due to pricking up my ears during the talk when I heard the name of his mistress!)
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 14:36 BST (UK) »
He is in the Will Calendars
http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/reels/cwa/005014902/005014902_00373.pdf

Of course the name could be a coincidence or there could be a connection somewhere to a great x?
 grandmother who had that name but finding that would be a big ask.

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 17:32 BST (UK) »
I think his occupation is
A.M (artium magister, what we would call M.A.)
MB
(Dub)

Was he a doctor of some sort?
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 18:06 BST (UK) »
Just looked for info about Oscar Wilde's father (we are going dreadfully off topic here -- sorry) -- but there is an article about him in Wikipedia, including information about his affair with a Mary Travers. We were told at the talk about Oscar, that her name was Mary Josephine Travers, so probably that was her full name.

Seems Oscar's Father was quite a clever and important (as well as a womanising) man.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Wilde

|Half sisters  Buried Drumsnat, Monaghan

http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/monaghan/photos/tombstones/monaghan-drumsnat/target20.html
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 18:22 BST (UK) »
Yes -- you are right. He was indeed quite an eminent Doctor.

Interestingly he became a medical commissioner for the Irish census in 1841 - and was awarded a knighthood in the 1860s for his work with censuses (according to Wikipedia).

At the same talk where I heard about Sir William Wilde, (Oscar Wilde's father), the speaker mentioned something about illnesses of individuals being shown on the 1841 Irish census - but I have never heard or seen anything about this elsewhere.

Well spotted, Dublin1850.

Thank you also Sinann and Hallmark for your very interesting finds.
Places of interest;

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 18:25 BST (UK) »
The 2 half sisters were the ones who tragically died when their dresses caught fire. How generous of the Oscar Wilde Society to donate a new headstone for them.
Places of interest;

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 19:16 BST (UK) »
Yes -- you are right. He was indeed quite an eminent Doctor.

Interestingly he became a medical commissioner for the Irish census in 1841 - and was awarded a knighthood in the 1860s for his work with censuses (according to Wikipedia).

At the same talk where I heard about Sir William Wilde, (Oscar Wilde's father), the speaker mentioned something about illnesses of individuals being shown on the 1841 Irish census - but I have never heard or seen anything about this elsewhere.

Well spotted, Dublin1850.

Thank you also Sinann and Hallmark for your very interesting finds.

https://archive.org/stream/lifeoscarwilde00shergoog#page/n22/mode/2up and next few pages
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 20:09 BST (UK) »
Hallmark -- what a truly interesting book. Written in the 'old' style and such a lot of information about Oscar Wilde's parents.

Fascinating that his mother thought her baby was going to be a girl -- with the allegation that she initially treated him as one.

I have read about 15 pages so far, but intend going back to it. Thank you so much for the link.

(Really need to change title of this topic to Westmeath Registration Districts followed by Oscar Wilde!!)
Places of interest;