Author Topic: Ann Gilbert born Heytesbury 1792/3  (Read 1671 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Gilbert born Heytesbury 1792/3
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 April 16 23:26 BST (UK) »
Libby

The John Orchard who married Ann Gilbert at Keevil in 1827 raised children there and remained there.   He's there minus wife Ann (who appears to have died just before census in 1841) and has remarried to an Elizabeth by the 1851 census.   Their children were a Mary bc.1828, John bc.1831, Elizabeth bc.1833, William bc.1837 and James bc.1839 - as you can see, birth of eldest child Mary was year after he and Ann Gilbert married plus they did not have a son Charles.   All children born at Keevil (per census) - FindMyPast shows Mary bp.6/4/1828 Keevil, dau. of John (carpenter) and Ann plus John bp.31/5/1830, Elizabeth bp.16/9/1832 and a James bp.19/4/1835 who presumably died as 1841 census shows 2 further children i.e. William bc.1837 and James bc.1839.

If your connection is through Charles Orchard bc.1834 Upton Lovell then, as trish1120 and I have already advised, his parents are John Orchard and Ann Hinton who married at Heytesbury in 1814.   Their eldest child in 1841 is an Isaac bc.1820 but I suspect there were other children born between 1814 and 1819 who'd already left home (or died).   

Online burials for Wiltshire are not very well covered I'm afraid.

John Orchard and Ann Hinton married 1814 Heytesbury but from baptisms that have been found the family were clearly non-conformists which explains why not all baptisms for their children have been found.  Where any earlier children may have been born have no idea, but Isaac said to have been born in Knock (can't find online baptism),  Mary Ann probably born Knock too and baptised 14/7/1822 Congregational, Heytesbury, Maria born 5/10/1825 Knock but baptised 12/2/1826 Congregational, Heytesbury, George b.1/11/1830 Upton Lovell but baptised in Congregational, Heytesbury, then Charles bc.1834 Upton Lovell and John bc.1836 Upton Lovell.   (can't find baptisms online for these two).

I only hope Trish and I have now convinced you that your Charles' parents are John Orchard and Ann Hinton and that, as shown on the 1871 census, Ann Orchard, nee Hinton, was indeed born in Heytesbury ca.1792 and bp.25/12/1791, dau. of Alexander Hinton.

Ann Gilbert married in Keevil, had her children with husband John in Keevil and no doubt died in Keevil too in early 1841- they had no son named Charles.

Ann Hinton married her John Orchard in Heytesbury 1814, by 1820 they were living in Knock, and by 1830 had moved to Upton Lovell where your Charles was born.   John Orchard also said to have been born ca.1794 in Heytesbury and is presumably the John bp.12/1/1794 son of Jasper and Jane.

Both Upton Lovell and Knock are just outside Heytesbury whilst Keevil (where Ann Gilbert remained) was some 17+ miles away.

Hope this makes it all clear now.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LibbyM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 April 16 06:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,Annette

Thanks for all your notes.

At the moment, I'm neither convinced nor unconvinced, because I haven't had a chance to go through it all.  Findmypast was down when I got back from work, but I'll look at it all over the weekend.

Thanks again.
Libby

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 April 16 22:37 BST (UK) »
Just a note on the non-conformist records. Some of my wife's ancestors were also from Heytesbury and surrounding areas, and I have found some families had some of their children baptised in non-conformist chapels, and some in the parish church. I'm not sure why this is the case, whether there wasn't always a parish minister present, or perhaps incumbents changed and they didn't like the new one.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 10 April 16 08:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all your work on this Annette and hopefully between us we have convinced Libby Charles Parents are John Orchard/Ann Hinton.
Sorry I havent replied earlier but have been away for a few days.

Trish  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 10 April 16 13:06 BST (UK) »
I hope so too, Trish.   It's so easy to go down the wrong path hence the rather long posting of mine explaining the how's and why's.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CathyMO

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 11 August 17 21:17 BST (UK) »
Hi LibbyM I am also a descendant of Charles Orchard b.1834 and can confirm his parents were John and Anne (Hinton). I have a 2nd cousin in Australia who has done extensive research on this line and happy to share.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 12 August 17 12:23 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootchat  CathyMO :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)