Author Topic: Hoban Family  (Read 1171 times)

Offline vmhp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hoban Family
« on: Thursday 07 April 16 16:11 BST (UK) »
My GGgf John was soldier who died as a Pensioner before 1866 but his records are lost!. My Ggf William was born in Castleblakeney 1837/8 and well documented as he joined the RIC. He then moved to Lancashire Police and died 1872 as the result of injuries in service (He is on the Roll of Honour). His widow (no pension) returned to her family in Achill  with four young sons - my Gf Samuel born 1871. In the house recently I found a receipt for the purchase of a watch (which I also have) from Watts & Co, Gloucester. Another item was included in 1893 but the watch cost £12 10s - rather a lot in those days. The receipt was sent to Mr J J Hoban Tynagh Loughrea. I also have a photograph taken in a studio in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire of a chap who looks like a Hoban and a wedding picture sent to Achill before 1910 - looks like the same man.
This must be family related to my Ggf William but I have hit a brick wall and would love to solve the mystery! One last clue - a Laurence Hoban rented a cottage from my Gf in Achill in 1944.
Any bright ideas out there...please!
Hoban, McNally, Stevenson, Langrell

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hoban Family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 April 16 09:16 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Just a thought. Could the receipt belong to one of your grandfather's brothers?

Regards
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline vmhp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 April 16 11:21 BST (UK) »
My thoughts exactly! Ggf's sons were named James William, John Thomas, William Patrick and lastly Samuel Henry - the first three are easily family names but the last....well when you get to four boys I am sure some lateral thinking is required!
But why would a brother pass on an expensive watch and receipt to a nephew unless he had no one to inherit? If he was rich enough to simply make a gift why was it so many years after his brother's death? My house was once a hotel and every receipt since 1890 was on fencing wire in the cupboard under the stairs and I cannot say exactly when it came to my Gf, but when I took them off I kept them in some sort of order and this was in the up to 1910 heap I think. I have found a James J living Ballydonagh b 1879 but married in 1905 and only had stepsons after 6 years of marriage. His wife was 14 years older than him. His father was John who could have been my Ggf's sibling, maybe JJ was his only son and he could see no prospect of grandchildren, thus the watch was not given to him? A few policemen in my family - I should have trained as a detective! In case anyone is worried my family tree is purely for my family - no tree on the internet. My Gf was found on a table mat, on horseback with the district nurse behind him, so I decided to keep things just to family!

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 April 16 14:14 BST (UK) »
I'm not quite following the details and the generations, sorry  ::)

GGF John - place of origin unknown.

Ggf William - born Castleblakeney - was his father posted around there or is that the family place of origin?

William married Mary McNally - children JW; JT; WP and SH.
Where was John Thomas in 1871?

Was the watch passed on to your father at some time later than 1893 - an inheritance or similar?

Were your Hobans (and McNallys) always Church of Ireland?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline vmhp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 April 16 15:41 BST (UK) »
GGF John - place of origin unknown. Correct
Ggf William - born Castleblakeney - was his father posted around there or is that the family place of origin? Unknown but Galway FHS knew of no barracks there and I have the later contacts so Galway origins seem likely.
 William married Mary McNally - children JW; JT; WP and SH. Yes-mixed marriage.
 Where was John Thomas in 1871? Seem to recall he is missing on census but have birth records.
 Was the watch passed on to your Grandfather father at some time later than 1893 - an inheritance or similar? I assumed it was later because the receipt was with the general hotel stuff. I assume an inheritance.
 Were your Hobans (and McNallys) always Church of Ireland? Hobans only on return to Ireland in 1872. McNallys - not sure but maybe only when they joined Rev Nangle's Colony in Achill early 1830s. They are well documented from then.
I was hoping to do my reply in colour but can't fathom how to do it!