Author Topic: Heir raising moment -spooky or what ?!?  (Read 25859 times)

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
Re: Heir raising moment -spooky or what ?!?
« Reply #54 on: Friday 15 April 16 22:18 BST (UK) »
Showing an interest in the Kray Twins for over 10 years, then finding out, and verifying for myself that we share ancestors in Shoreditch in the 1780s. Also we may be related through a Sussex line.

Finding out I am distantly related to a lifelong family friend who was a dinenr lady and who is mums best friend, and I went to school with her children.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Friday 15 April 16 22:51 BST (UK) »
;D ;D ;D....maybe she knew a bit more that she didn't want you you to find out?.?

I think that was after I had also discovered that my father-in-law's grandparents were first cousins.  ;D
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 15 April 16 22:52 BST (UK) »

I always like to think with stories like that Dorrie, that maybe we do get help from our loved ones that have passed.  :)

claire

I like to believe that as well.   I had a relative who was into genealogy and had been for years, and after she had died, all of a sudden I was finding people that we had both been searching for but could never find before.

Cheers
KHP

Do you think she was getting inside information?  ;)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Saturday 16 April 16 00:34 BST (UK) »

Do you think she was getting inside information?  ;)

;D ;D Perhaps she was continuing her research? ;D :D

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Saturday 16 April 16 02:55 BST (UK) »
Another sort of spooky coincidence comes to mind. After finding some collateral ancestors in the census records, I went to look up the corresponding births and marriages in the BDM indexes. I knew I had to find a Henry Hogard Pine's birth in 1894. Imagine my surprise when I found his birth in the March quarter, right next to a Henry Hogarth Pine! It turns out they were second cousins, but for a second I thought I was seeing double!

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Saturday 16 April 16 08:55 BST (UK) »
In 1970 I was at college in Lancashire, I was desperately unhappy and went out for a walk up the lanes near the college wishing that in life you you could go back to the beginning and begin again and oerhaps things would be better. After a bit I came to a village sign, gave myself a big shake, realising that perhaps life moving forward would be OK.

In 2000 researching my paternal family I tracked the family back and their we where in the 1600s and 1700s in the very village I had got to on that day in 1970.

Offline C_W

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Saturday 16 April 16 09:56 BST (UK) »
These things make you believe that life is all planned out for you, and many things are "meant to be".
I also think that those of us who have traced their family history are 'lucky'. I don't find these things spooky but in a funny sort of way reassuring.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Saturday 16 April 16 10:17 BST (UK) »

That's a lovely way of putting it C_W  :)

Pinefamily: Some of my research is done relaxing with glass of wine in hand, if I had found that, I would have been convinced I were seeing double  ;)

Gibel: that is a lovely story, to think you walked where your ancestors walked, it's a funny old life sometimes.  :)

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Saturday 16 April 16 10:20 BST (UK) »
Sometimes I have a little lightbulb moment about something that I've been unable to locate for a long time, or a niggling thought that I might have got some particular thing wrong!

When the lightbulb goes on, I shout "Woohoo Henry" (or whatever name or place etc, the lightbulb has flashed), and pat my shoulder - well - someone's gotta be looking over my shoulder - don't they??   ;D ;D ;D

Claire, when I visited Ayrshire, I walked up Glen Afton in New Cumnock several times!  This is where my great grandfather spent his childhood playing, and he wrote several poems about it, and the area in general.  It was pretty special to realise he had been there picking "brambles" and taking them "hame tae his mither in her wee but and ben" - which was a miner's row cottage!
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections